Unexpected grocery store tunes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ArtGuy9516, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

The other day I heard the Siousxie and the Banshees tune Hong Kong Garden at the grocery store I frequent. While I have heard other tunes from this era when shopping none were as non top 40/popular. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience hearing a tune that you liked that certainly did not get a lot of air play back in the day

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I always hear muzak versions of Nirvana and Foo Fighters for some reason.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

Many years ago, I was in an 24-hour market in a pretty desolate part of the city, and a muzak version of Beethoven's Ninth came on. It was one of the most Clockwork Orange moments of my life.

Nowadays, satellite Muzak brings all kinds of weirdness. The other day, I caught Junior Murvin's Police and Thieves in the grocery store.

4. GlennW

GlennW

I heard this in Walgreens. VERY cool.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. powderfinger

powderfinger

I heard Burning For You by Blue Oyster Cult in a ghetto Kroger once at 4 AM.

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

I heard the original Zapp version of "More Bounce to the Ounce" at Food Source yesterday morning. A Muzak version would be most interesting, though.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

years ago i heard a muzak version of Kiss' "Tomorrow and Tonight" in an elevator. sounded terrible.

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I occasionally hear all kinds of unexpected music in our local grocery store. They played a Patsy Cline song at one point. That was a huge surprise. Another time, there was some serious funk going on. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was hardly the kind of background drivel you would expect. I'm waiting to hear Public Enemy or The World Saxophone Quartet in the background. It will proably be a while for those.

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

the local h.e.b. once piped thomas dolby's 'one of our submarines' through their store. it certainly caught me by surprise. still, anything pop from the 80s is fair game there.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You know you're getting old when you recognize, and like, the muzak at the grocery store.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I heard a Soup Dragons song at the grocery store the other day. I had to stop and double check what I was hearing and that it was coming from the store speakers and not someone near me.

-Mike

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I heard Radiohead's "Reckoner" at our grocery store last Saturday.

14. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

I heard The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in muzak at the dentist's office once. :meh:

15. Gazman

Gazman

I was in the baby change room at Ikea once, and in the background they were playing a cheesy, girl from Ipanema style version of "Breathe" by Pink Floyd.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Not muzak, but one day I heard the original Fishbone song Modern Industry being played in the supermarket. I was very surprised. I had to stop for a second and make sure that was what I was actually hearing. Yep. Bonus cred for my supermarket! :)

17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I used to work at many a supermarket when I was a youngster. At one of them the manager was a former hippie and current burnout that played all kinds of great stuff. Lots of Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Cream and stuff. The customers used to complain but he couldn't be bothered. Good times.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

And you are getting really old when you don't recognize the muzak and say "young people these days sure listen to crap."

19. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Seattle at one time, maybe still, has been a large market for creating muzak.

20. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

One time in a grocery store, I heard Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover. I don't know if they had the radio or playing a recording.

21. DannyBob

DannyBob

I heard Dimmu Borgir - Gateways () in a privately owned toy shop in Newcastle, England.