1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Unfit Rig! Power/Tone Overhaul advice for Vintage,Loud Gritty tonalities [gear pics]

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jaswine85

Jaswine85 Supporting Member

Ok. Heres my situation, excuse long form. Its complicated for me. See summary below gear list.

My random rig needs to be turned into or just get a whole new set up : Medium-small, good for grit and other vintage tones. Low and powerful. Low and powerful.

Amps:
    Ampeg B5R
    Peavey Classic 60/60
    Ampeg BA-300 11h, 300w 1x15 combo (not pictured newer ed., from ~3yrs ago)

Cabs:

SWR Henry the 8x8 (8 x 8 in speakers) - I can get it very loud, but to play very loud i am at 9.5 with a volume booster before the amp input.
    Ampeg 1x15 cab - BROKEN. Failed speaker test. Broke less than a month after warranty 4 years old. Any suggestions on what speaker new speaker to put into the ampeg box?
    The SWR 8x8 is great for nice Geddy style stuff w/ my ricky
    --
    [HERES A SUMMARY TO HELP MAKE MY GOALS CLEAR]
    SUMMMARY: Need a powerful amp and solid cabs for gritty vintage tones.
    Probably get and use a whole new rig, unless i can still use the B5R for more than a pre amp or if i can chain the peavey to some amp(?).
    Possible buys with my limited knowledge:
    for both amps/cabs Orange, or a Sunn,[Ive checked out Sunn amps on ebay, but never playing one make buying a crapshoot] if i can get a proper, good shape, Sunn anything.

Going for gritty amp of 1000 watts such as Orange Terror bass, new OB-1K, AD200b Mk 3 unless not enough power, and "legit" Sunn amps or cabs.
    Mini amps of doom thread: As educational as it is decision- scrambling.
    I just want to turn all the above crap into something great for vintage low gritty bass.
    I may sell some of the above, im already selling off toys(guitars etc). And i barely know where to start.
    I dont need the best rig ever, just a mega solid setup.
    Flexible amount of cash input: 2500 or so but the less the better. Thinking a ~$1k amp and another cab on top of my ampeg cab once i replace speaker.(need to find either a "rare" speaker or a nice new one (celestion? maybe )

I am thinking of going to Orange or get an old Sunn, or mix. I just have no way to try such gear.
    Gotta go on advice an faith, and this is why this thread is important to me.

Aguilar Tone hammer series amps (my tone hammer is the original pedal i got as soon as released), and even the solid state DB-751 even look nice. I wish i could friggin try an amp!

Its your word = where i dump money and what i sell. No other reference. I know you guys are good for it, I am a pedal nut trying to become more of a gear head.
    Its so nice to have such an amazing forum at hand.

Issues: Put too much trust in Ampeg, and i have NO headroom. Gigging right only works with my combo plus an aguilar tonehammer pre amp, both fed to the console.
    -Peavey classic 60/60 is OK, when used with the 8x8, still not loud enough.
    -Same with the B5R, and i love it for pre amping and efffects.

I Want: A bad ass micro- rig with plenty of power and VINTAGE hard rock tones, "stoner" and doomy stuff, and also dirty-funky tones.

Probelem: I often need to use FX to get my volume where i want it.

- Sell the Peavey or Add say, and Orange Terror Bass and ? Cab?
    I see the Orange rigs and they seem to only sell either 4x10s, singles, and a giant 10x10. Any suggestions? I see people using Sunn, and other companies im not too familar with. Genz Benz seems popular... hell all nice cabs seem to. Aguilar?

Once i get the ampeg 1x15 speaker replaced, I want another cab on top or go with a 2x15. Most likely powered by an Orange.
    Thoughts on the new OB1-K Orange and what id need?

I am thinking that also using the 8x8 with a 15 inch Orange or Sunn rig would sound good. Punch from 8x8 and the low lows from the 15.

And not being a tube expert, maybe i can get more power from they Peavey by just adding more cabs. hmm.

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301119.pdf
    ^the amazingly un detailed and short peavey manual. ugh.
    Pics!

http://imgur.com/a/vt5Qz - Gallery. Some as below BUT with and extra pic for pedal geeks ;) Some of my whacky fx.
    [​IMG]
    also: Gibson Grabber, LTD 24 fret w/ Graph Tech Midi, Rondo cheapies, and a decent Washburn bass i am currently Jaco- ing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

Red Ric with Black Pickguard :eek:
    Love it. I would replace the hardware to black if that was mine.

I use to have one that was supposedly white but was a cream yellow.
    I sold it because I was young and naive and didn't like the color....I miss it! :bawl:

3. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Ampeg PF800 paired with that new F212 or a duallyT? get rid of all the rest

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Since you already have a Tone Hammer pedal preamp, why not pick up a lightweight power amp like a Peavey IPR or Crest Prolite to go with it. Another preamp option is a SansAmp RBI or RPM.
    I run a TH pedal with a Peavey IPR1600 and IMO it's a great combination.
    Cab wise, maybe switch to a Fearful - there's a dual 15 model that, according to users, hits really low and hard!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    That'd be a 1515/66 - you can move houses with that monster

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1,000,000

The PF-800, Orange TB1000, or new Peavey MiniMega (waiting for this to be released), paired with a greenboy DuallyT or a fEARless F212 would meet all your needs; and have enough volume on tap to kill small animals at a good distance.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. I have a TH pedal in front of a beefy power amp on top of my '66. Seriously loud.

That said, it might bust the OP's budget. I think he would be well with in his wants/needs with the F212 or DuallyT, unless he was building his own cab.

9. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Or your 12/6/1 double stack?
    How does it porform compared to the F212?

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Output is very similar. Tone is a little different. The fEARful goes a tad lower.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Yours was the rig that came to mind in my earlier suggestion CL400!;)
    I think the OP said that his budget was $2500. Not sure what the cab would cost but he's got the TH already so $0 for that. Peavey IPR, $300-$400 maybe? I think it's do-able for $2500.

12. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Yapp, that's the new price for a IPR1600 or similar. Afaik the F212 is 1600$? A 1515/66 can go much cheaper if you do it yourself but (I cannot figure the $ prices but I guess it would be do-able for about 1200 euros)

13. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Man up and get an 810 cab.

14. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Why?

I would rather have a smaller, lighter cab that gets louder.

15. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Dude....if an 810 is not loud enough for you than I have nothing to add.......

16. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Thinking of a single 810 as "not enough" is a common thing in the stoner/doom genre. A 1515/66 pushed to the max might just suffice the sounds needs. I still wait for the guy pairing two 1515/66 cabinets

Sometimes, more is more!

17. Jaswine85

Jaswine85 Supporting Member

hey just wanna say THANKS GUYS!

ive looked into all of it, and gotten sound samples, and youve steered me in the right direction.

Gonna give myself a nice birthday present or two :D

Thanks =)

I thought they stopped the black hardware, thats why i took the truss rod cover off. I couldnt get that or hardware in black anymore said it was done, i thought.

Gonna have to do some searches, ebay it, etc.