1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Unia (Sonata Arctica) bass sound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tgolsson, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Tgolsson

Tgolsson

Not sure where to put this, so feel free to move to appropriate forum if there is one.

A few days I dug up my sonata arctica collection, and decided to give Unia another listen, having originally disliked it. It's much better now (or I more likely have better taste), and I'm really intrigued by the bass sound. Especially early on the track "my dream's but a drop of fuel for my nightmare" it has this really fat metallic distortion, sort of like fret buzz but not quite. Having hunted for the evasive tone, it feels like I've had a revelation. I've spent a few days with my zoom b2 and various digital effects but haven't managed to recreate it.

My best guess so far is active PJ or H with low action, rounds, boosted mids and tube overdrive. Yet, it's not really that thickness in it that is on the recording. Any ideas? Would link to YouTube, but it has really weak bass compared to the CD version, guess it's compressing very hard. Not sure about spotify, don't have it.