1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Unintentional Play-Alongs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by fu22ba55, Mar 24, 2014.

1. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Any good records spring to mind where one of the following is true:

-No bass player
    -Bass player is inaudible enough you can roll off bass EQ and play along?

Goal would be to build endurance playing over standard progressions¬Ö playing with real humans other than Aebersold.

Items that spring to mind for me are:

-Benny Goodman Trio / Quartet Showcase
    -Nat King Cole Trio (bass often inaudible in early recordings)
    -Nearly anything by Django Reinhardt
    -Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant / Stratosphere Boogie

Granted, most examples will be swing, since recording tech was so lousy back then, but some Bop & later would be great too.

Any go-to albums you guys use for play alongs to build endurance and sharpen your wits?

2. fu22ba55

Another album that works this way is

Sonny Rollins: Way Out West

Recording isolation is good enough that you can hard-pan to one side, and EQ-out most of the bass.

Only problem is, listening to Ray Brown is the best part of that record!

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Sometimes the stereo mix has the bass on one side and not the other, so turn it to the side without bass and play along.

I can't think of any examples for bass, but vocals and lead guitar work that way as well.
    Alice Cooper's Elected has the vocals on one side only, and most of the lead guitar is on one side on Neil Young's T-Bone.

Hmm, now what were the bass ones--I'm sure there's at least one early Zep song like that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fu22ba55

7. brianrost

brianrost

Lee Konitz has made a number of bassless recordings and his playing on standards will keep you on your toes ;)

8. fu22ba55

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian. His discography lists well over 100 records, can you narrow the scope a bit, at least in terms of what era?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Konitz

Thanks!

9. brianrost

brianrost

fu22ba55,

Yeah trolling through Lee's discography is a real task...over 100, probably over 300!! Just check the credits for ones that are drummerless??!! ;) Lots of duos with piano, plenty of bassless trios as well.

One of the ones I like the best isn't even a released album, it's a live radio broadcast from the Village Vanguard a few years ago with Dan Tepfer (piano) and Matt Wilson (drums). I think it's still available as a stream from npr.org. Starts with a typically out there version of All The Things U R that should keep you busy for a while!

Try some of these (all bassless, some drummerless):

Knowing Lee (w/ Dave Liebman and Richie Bierach)
    Duos with Lee (w/ Dan Tepfer)
    Lee Konitz Duets (OK, Eddie Gomez plays bass on one cut but you get to hear Lee duet with Elvin Jones!)
    Organic Lee (w/ Gary Versace on B3!!!)
    IAI festival (w/Paul Bley, Bill Connors, Jimmy Giuffre)

Of course for listening you can't go wrong with any Konitz...the guy is unreal.

10. fu22ba55

Huge help, thank you Brian.

11. milomo

milomo

My copy of Miles Smiles has Ron, Wayne and Herbie panned all the way to the left with Miles and Tony all the way on the right, so you can get some nice trio playing in and then go back and hear how RC does it.

12. bobsax

bobsax

People time
    Stan Getz and Kenny Barron
    double album
    All standards