1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Univox UB250 - can you make this amp sound good?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Miguel503, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Miguel503

Miguel503

So I got my hands on one of these little univox ub250 heads for a deal ($25) but it didn't come with a cab. Original spec was a muddy ******* of a 1x15. I guess it had to do with the factory speaker so maybe swapping that out would be a good idea.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

edit 5h1+[30X

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What do you have for cabs now? Try one of them.

3. Miguel503

Miguel503

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh...well get one ;)

You can use any cab, really, even a really big one. But I'd probably look for a 115 or 210 at the most.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. laughing house

laughing house

You can purchase an original cabinet on Ebay or Craigslist. If it is original it will have a 4 ohm Eminence "Pro-Mag" speaker in it. Trust me, it is not a "muddy shitbox". Plug head into cabinet and you will hear what your bass sounds like with the flat frequency response that this most wonderful amplifier provides.

Attached Files:

7. Miguel503

Miguel503

@Laughing house
    Dude I sent you a PM a few days ago

8. Miguel503

Miguel503

And I got your reply, thanks. When I didn't hear from you I decided to post this thread.

But hey, let's dream a bit for search terms sake.

So I live in a place that is basically a desert, I have no friends and the LGS (local guitar shop) consists of a guitar center that only carries new stuff.

What kind of speaker would be best for a new cab and what should the dimensions of the cab be? Is a fearful 15sub sufficient or would a 2x10 be good? What advantages does one have over the other?

9. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

I think it'd be a cool thing to build a 215 for it...it wouldn't be loud, but it'd look cool on stage and you can mic it!

10. Miguel503

Miguel503

@Laughing House

What are the dimensions of the original cab?
    Furthermore, any information on the speaker specs?

11. laughing house

laughing house

The cabinet is 23" tall and 17 3/4" wide It is 11 3/4 deep at the bottom and 10 3/4" deep at the top. It doesn't have a port. The speaker is an Eminence brand four ohm bass speaker with a very high sensitivity level. It is a very efficient speaker. I don't know if they make anything quite like it today.

12. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Eminence customer service has been very helpful to me when I had a question about some very old speakers. It may be worthwhile to email them, politely explaining that you are restoring this old amp, and you heard that the original speaker was a 4 ohm Eminence "Pro-Mag"; since you would like to keep the amp sounding as good as it did originally, perhaps Eminence can recommend an equivalent current model speaker...give them the cab dimensions and that it is sealed.

Key to getting a good answer from them--be polite, write clearly with good grammar and punctuation (in other words, a business letter), and keep stressing how the proper Eminence speaker would make the amp sound better than using somebody else's speaker (or words to that effect).

13. Miguel503

Miguel503

thanks nashville bill, will report when i hear back

@laughing house - is the cab slanted from the very bottom/gradual taper or is it flat and then taper at the top? if i understand correctly the cab is sealed/no ports/no openings?

14. Miguel503

Miguel503

just as a note to anyone following along, i'm trying to document this process as much as possible because there are bunches of these lil amps out there and i had some trouble getting information with basic googlin

15. 77PBass

77PBass Supporting Member

This was my first amp at age 13. Me and the boys on the block rocked the garage using this. Find the original speaker cab....these things as a pair go for $150!!

I tried to find one for reasonable price. Apparently guitarists like this amp for its transistor distortion...check out youtube for some clips.

16. laughing house

laughing house

Here are pics of two of my cabinets. The grey one is a 1972. The blue one is a 1978. As you can see, the taper is very gradual on the front only. the back is straight up. Of course, we are only talking about a one inch difference, so it is very subtle. And you are correct, the cabinet hasn't got any openings or ports or anything of that nature.

Attached Files:

17. Miguel503

Miguel503

So i heard back from eminence (they have awesome customer support!)

so there you have it, per eminence the best replacement speaker for the univox ub250 bass amp cab.

if anyone can think of other search terms that might come up in googling or if anyone has other tips of making this amp sound good, please feel free to post.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Holy Cowz!
    there it is, my very first bass amp.