1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

UNIVOX UX 1512 "FAT ALBERT" CAB

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheRhealDeal, Feb 8, 2013.

1. TheRhealDeal

TheRhealDeal

I am having one of these and the matching ux 1501 shipped to me, but can't find any kind of information about it anywhere online. I found the 1501 owner's manual but nothing for the cabinet. I figured someone on here has to know where I can get the specs on this thing!

2. TheRhealDeal

TheRhealDeal

someone has to know this...:help:

3. TheRhealDeal

TheRhealDeal

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

7. Catanova

Catanova

Try this link:

http://www.univox.org/amps/uniamp.html

Not much info but there is a power rating of 200 watts for that cab...

btw, I own of a couple of vintage Uni's. Be prepared to spend hours scouring the net trying to get useful information, details are scarce

8. SirMjac28

UX1512 Cabinet
    Watts: 200 Watts RMS
    Speakers: (2) 15" Electro Voice SR015, Reflex Horn

It's a cab I can't think of much more you would need to know?

9. TheRhealDeal

TheRhealDeal

Trying to find the dimensions and weight of the thing so I can get a decent shipping rate. Something under the $1200 freight shipping quote I just got.

10. SirMjac28

KramerBassFan

If I could find one, i'd buy it in about... 2 seconds.

Just look at my profile.

These amps were really only made for a year, and pretty much the nicest/best amp Univox ever built. I've only ever seen two people who had them. ... and one of them got it for under $10 at a yardsale. "here, take this stupid POS radio..."

Univox (Unicord) imported Marshall amps, and also did alot of the warranty repair. Some Marshall amps of the time that were imported into the USA had Univox transformers. Also got converted to 6550's. SO if you have a Marshall amp with 6550's.... you know who did it. That'd be the boys at Univox.

If you wanna know anything else about Univox, i've done a fair bit of research, and feel free to ask.

On JPJ's fat Albert, he said it worked for some of the gig, got the best bass tone he'd ever heard, and then it blew up. My guess? The Univox techs wanted a big loud bass amp, and so REALLY cranked it up. Cranked up all the voltages to get the max output of it. So, JPJ plays it, CRANKS it up at a LZ gig, and it blows half way through. He said it pretty much melted, and just gave out. His Techs, not being stupid, could have easily swapped out a 6550 tube, if that was the problem. More likely than not, Transformer melted. Tech says trash it, JPJ said "... okay, now time to un pack the Acoustics".

Story time of the day.

I would PM him and see what he says good luck.

11. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    An old friend of mine Teddy Schule had teh original prototype to the Fat Albert cab.. It was made by Tony Frank .. Dont know where it or he is.. It was last seen on Long Island new York. His was black Tolex and a black grill... And had two Altec 15s..

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    There was a company on Long Island that was pumping out 2x15 folded horns that looked like that in the early 70's. MDF construction, they weighed a friggen' ton. Loaded with RV SRO's. real popular as the bottom of the typical bi or tri amped PA's we used then. Either Crown or Phase Linear power. Just about everybody in New England used them until the double 15 jbl horn came along and then the double 15 jBL Scoop and later the EaW bent horn 18 ...

Having been a short term Acoustic 360 user... I find the romance of the folded horn kinda wacky. They truly sucked close up. 40 feet away, not so bad. I mean if you were playing Shea Stadium, maybe... After going SVT and fridge, I never looked back...

13. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sift through this, it may help.

Price lists here, and here.

I had a Japanese site that had some more info, but can't find it; if I do find it again, I'll post the links.

Would love to have the Univox Fat Albert set up: Hey HeY HEY!

14. bassdopp

bassdopp

Thanks Feral for the ad.
    It looks like the cab is 30"x30"x17" As for the drivers, the SRO 15 is only 100 watts and EV's are not famous for their low end. If you could find a pair of Altec 421-8H, you will not only strengthen the bottom end you will gain an extra 100 watts of headroom.(the 421-8h is rated at 150 watts RMS) And when those 6550's really kick in, you're going to need that extra room. IMO

15. TheRhealDeal

TheRhealDeal

Thanks everyone for the input. The ads posted I saw prior to this, but none of them gave any physical specs of the cab.

bassdopp, where were you able to find the dimensions?? Any guess on how much this beast might weigh?

16. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Hey RhealDeal,

How's the Fat Albert conundrum going?

I knew the link to Univox.org was posted already, but the thread needed pics! Anyway, I can't find that Japanese site at all. About the time I was originally looking at it my browser crashed so no bookmarks and no history.

Have you PM'd Mario_1965 from the "In Search of..." thread?

Given the pics of the 1501 sittin' on top of the 1512, you could maybe guestimate the dimensions. At any rate, the curiosity is killin' this cat so please let us all know the proper dimensions when you get your Fat Albert cab!

Cheers,
    FF

17. Mario_1965

Mario_1965

Hey Rheal Deal Did you get the Univox. The weight on the entire rig is about 200 pounds!

18. BGstringer

BGstringer

I can't speak for the cabinet, but I own this head & it's a back-breaker.. It may have been 60lbs when new, but feels like 100lbs now after 40 years of midwest humidity.. (maybe I'm just getting old finally).
    I want to thank you guys for all this great thread material & especially the original manual pages to my baby!
    I was surfing to seek an original schematic as I received my ux-1501 head back in 2007 from a guy who knew it was modded to where the PRESENCE knob is now the bias pot for my power tubes. I've took it to a repair guy who verified this fact before I even tried it out & sure enough it was for Bias.. Strange!
    Other than slight idle hum, my UX-1501 has always sounded awesome, but of course the tech & I would love to find an original schematic to see how far astray this amp has really gotten off the original path.. Most of the point to point goodness looks original, but something is obviously wrong (or modded better?).. ??
    Assuming a schematic is a pointless dream, I am wondering if anyone would share detailed gut shots of their original internal chassis for me to compare.. I would love to brag & show my ptp guts, but I am fearful of creating permanent confusion throughout the entire internet world for centuries to come with a possibly harmful MOD-podge mess that people would then claim all kinds of crap because.. Hey, they are the only pictures available to look at of the guts of a 1501 (and of course only the talk bass guys would know them to be WRONG!)..
    I know I'm asking alot here, but my serial number is barely over 100 and I want to restore the history here so I can hear it in it's original glory without mod(s).