1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Unknown Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CriminalCypress, Dec 26, 2012.

1. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

I recently picked up a Kustom 115 bass cab at a local pawn shop for about $100. I can find absolutely no information about it on the internet, but it sounds decent with my Ampeg PF350 (although not as punchy as i want it)

A plate on the back says that the model is a 1-15B SRO. I really need to know if this can match my 350 Watt head, i don't need to blow a speaker, haha.

Here's an ebay link where the cab is also being sold.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sol...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41606c4c36

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Combos, especially less expensive ones, almost always use just a little more speaker than the amp can put out cleanly. This isn't to say you couldn't use it with the PF350. As long as you keep the volume at a level that doesn't sound like it's stressing the cab, you're good. But I'm pretty sure the PF350 is capable of blowing it.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The thing to remember when over amplfying a cabinet is "clean power". Clean power does not blow speakers, distortion and heat do. Look up the amp, find the spectrum analysis of where distortion enters the signal...(the little chart with the squiggly line and frequencies/power output) Find out at what power output point and what frequency point it starts to distort, and this will give you an idea how loud you can push the speaker(s) with said amp.

4. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

That's a bit of a disappointment, i somewhat-need a cab that can get louder than that. Anyone else know any info on this cab at all? Like i said, i can't find anything on it myself.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Interesting...I just found out that it came stock with an EV SRO 15. If it's still in there, you may be in luck. That was a darn good sounding speaker, and took 150w program. That ain't bad. You could still possibly blow it, but you're hard pressed to get much more than 200-250w into a modern 115 cab anyway, so you might be in pretty good shape with that cab.

7. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

And that EV SRO 15 would be the speaker? I was thinking of trading this and a little cash in to my local GC for a Yorkville XC410 cab but maybe not, i'll look more into the EV SRO 15.

8. Tuned

Tuned

Woah, the XC410 is in a different league than a 150W program 15" speaker (150W program = 75W RMS). The XC410 is 600W RMS, and also more efficient than that 15" driver. You best bring your PF350 in for a test drive ASAP.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    :rollno:

10. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Well yeah, I wasn't exactly expecting a clean trade, hence the added cash on my part...part.