1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Unknown Fender bass from Fender website

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pauler1976, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

Hi all,

I was looking at colours on the Fender website and came across a bass I had not seen before. It looks like a Blacktop series, but when I looked at the models offered, I could not find it.

Any idea as to what kind this is and where it is available? I really liked the pickguard and ADG string retainer on the headstock! :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. bassie12

bassie12

Roscoe Beck signature four string.
  3. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

Wow that was quick! Thanks so much for the response. I'll have to look into these a little more I recon.
  4. ahc

ahc

That's a Roscoe Beck Jazz. Been discontinued since the mid 2000's. They made both a 4 and 5 string. By all accounts it's one of the best Fender's ever made. Be nice if they'd bring it back but that's pretty unlikely.

Some more info here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/roscoe-beck-forum-500581/
  5. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

Thanks ahc! I'll head on over to the thread. Too bad they are no longer in production.. They look killer.
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

And it's a damn shame, too. What in the hell are they thinkin'?:rollno:
  7. Pauler1976

Pauler1976

Oh for sure, wonder why they still have it on their website then if they were discontinued 10+ years ago?

Either way, even if I could find one used, I dont think I could afford one, considering how scarce and revered they seem to be.
  8. Bobster

Bobster

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

It is kind of weird that Fender discontinued a very good original design, but I'm sure the sales weren't great compared to the Precisions and Jazz Basses that they make most of their money with. I bet if any other bass company had released the same bass, it would be one of their bigger sellers.
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

WOW!! I would buy one of these in a 5er for sure. Curious on the sound though. Is it very aggressive?
  11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

12. ahc

ahc

Check the TB classifieds. Usually see them for much less... 1250 - 1350.
  13. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I just picked up a 5-stringer in the classifieds for $1350.

Really nice bass. BIG neck and a bit heavy, but feels good. The whole bass feels and sounds big and fat. Is it aggressive? I feel it is, but not like a Geddy Lee. It's very big sounding, not the brightest bass in the world. It was designed to sound like a 60's jazz bass in the single coil mode. It does, but it's not as bright as a real 60's jazz. It can also get some nice humbucker tones, a bit like a passive Stingray.

Oh yeah, and by FAAAAR the best B string I've heard or felt on a Fender.