1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Unknown Peavey Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by haunterofthedar, Feb 18, 2014.

1. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

Hi! I am buying a new amp, since mine is basically useless, even for small gigging, it is a cheap Chinese amp, rated at 30w and with a thing for sounding distorted at even the lowest volumes.
    I begin checking and odds are I will buy a GK MB200 head when I visit the US (since they are pretty expensive here in Mexico). As for the cab I started looking yesterday, and found a Peavey for about $200 bucks. I asked the seller for the model, but he only knows that it was made in the US, and that it has a 15 inch Black Widow speaker. Any idea on the exact model?
    [​IMG]
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Don't know the exact model, but, it looks to be a good size cab (not stuffing big speakere in little boxes, which is good).

Ribbed cone = 1502 Black Widow...which is good.

Smooth cone = 1505 Black Widow...which is even better.

$200 is a little high for old Peavey cabs with one speaker in them.

$150 is good, especially if it's a 1505 model.
  3. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

Thank you man, now I can to bring the price down.
  4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

I agree with Will. $150 sounds about right. Here's a thought. Does it have the other half-the Peavey head? Could you get a good deal on that? I have some old Peavey stuff and they just run forever. Good luck.
  5. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

No, he only has an Ampeg B2RE head. But I think his price for that one is expensive, about $450, and I've seen some of those on eBay for less than $300.
    And yeah, Peavey stuff is awesome, I've got a KB3 amp, and while not the best sounding amp on the planet it does the job and it is built like a tank.
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    $450, or even $300 for that matter, is stupid for a B2. A 3-Pro...maybe....a B2....no way. Just deal on the cab.
  7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have a cab that looks exactly like that in my basement. The model number on it is 118D4. It has one vent hole at the bottom on the right side as you are facing the cab. Mine has the smooth speaker in it. On the back is a single 1/4"jack. It is a 4 ohm cab.Not positive on this but I think it will handle 400 watts. I have used this thing in conjunction with a Peavey 4 10 cab and a 250 watt amp and it was plenty loud for an outdoor gig without PA support.
  8. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

That is way more than I expected, I mean, I'll be using it with a 200w amp, but for the price of it I guess it is great.
  9. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

Just tested it yesterday, and it blew me away. With the B2RE as a testing head (I obviously didn't bought it) it has plenty of bass and volume. I mean, I don't think you can find something half as good as this for the price. The only downside is that it weights like 30 kg, but I can deal with it.
  10. Cirk

Cirk

No, they're not light by any means. However, they are very reliable. Nice cab!
  11. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

Thank you, I think Peavey has the best price/quality ratio on the low budget sector.
  12. DogBone

DogBone

^^^Agreed! ^^^

It doesn't surprise me that you liked the sound, those are some of Peavey's best sounding single 15 cabs, at least of their older stuff.

Yeah, they're heavy.

Loud, light, cheap < pick two. :D

One of the reasons Peavey's newer gear is appealing, at least when the new stuff is heavy at least there are side handles.

Agreed, too much money for the B2, $450 should cover both head and cab!
  13. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

And what would you say about buying a GK 250BL for about $220? I mean, I know the price is decent, but are they good?
  14. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

I've come to realize recently that Peavey's Black Widow series is very under rated.