1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Unknown Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larbacca, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Larbacca

Larbacca

A neighbor (guitar player) was going to toss this bass in the trash a few years back, so I snagged it and gave it it to my step daughter. Since she was 11 and lost interest in a barely functional bass, it was put aside. Anyway, I am having a tough time id'ing it. The wings seem high for a jazz or p bass and the color is odd. Any ideas? Reason I'm interested is that I may make this a project for myself. Thanks very much.

2. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

OP, standing by for the photos!

4. Larbacca

Larbacca

Yeah, sorry, had to jump to the pc. I was having problems with the phone upload. Stand by...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Larbacca

Larbacca

7. Larbacca

Larbacca

The other strange thing is the serial number. It seems very old by the fender/squier conventions. I've played around with it and it's not as bad as I thought 5 plus years ago. It just needs some work. I want to repaint and restring it and maybe change out the pick ups. What better way to learn than on something that was about to be literally thrown out?

8. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

HM series bass

9. Larbacca

Larbacca

Good you can see the pics. I could see them on the pc but they look like smiley faces on the phone. Thanks very much.

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yep likely late 80's. Korean made. In good shape worth $150-$200 or so. For free its a very good price:).

11. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

As in Heavy Metal... :bassist:

[​IMG]

12. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I would own it. Just needs a little work probably.

13. circuitspore

circuitspore

Yup, HM series bass. There was a corresponding guitar line as well. Made by the Cort factory in South Korea, so should be a decent instrument. Especially for free!

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Yes, it's a Squier HM- I've played it before but went with another Squier model, the MB5 (Modern Bass 5) as it was a five string. Thing about both these basses I've noticed were the pickups were very weak. Definitely could use changing, playability is pretty good though. Nice and light weight much like an Ibanez bass.

15. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

A friend has the HM Strat and I believe it is MIA.

16. Larbacca

Larbacca

So I've taken this bass apart, cleaned the body (kid graffiti), replaced the truss rod cover, and put in a new nut. I'm going to put dimarzios and new tuners on after I make a decision on the body. Should I get it refinished or keep it as this late 80s teal? I don't think it matters much except the relic factor. I'd prefer a more subdued color and it's not like it's a 60s era pbass.

17. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Personally, I would rattlecan refinish it (it came out of the trash, not worth a pro refin imo) in some white or off white. That would be plenty 80s with the matching headstock, and would also be suitable for other styles (tux colors, ya know?). Dimarzios would probably be a good pickup choice (given the jazz is the right size), but if the tuners do their job, I would keep them. Just my 2 cents

18. circuitspore

circuitspore

Refinish that bad boy in day-glo pink. :ninja:

Extra bonus if you can do a 'crackle' finish like this:

[​IMG]

19. Larbacca

Larbacca

I never put the after pics of this bass. It was a fun little project making it a lighter look and cleaning it up. I changed the nut to a Carvin graphite nut, the cover to white, and chromed the rest of the hardware. It looked less 80's metal and more what the 80's thought the 50's looked like. The pickups are the tone monster P/J set and they worked out great. I also put flats on it. It was a deep, smooth bass. I've since sold it to a collector of HM basses, but thought I'd share the completed project.

RustyAxe likes this.