Unnecessary lyrics/sounds in songs.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 9, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I was having a debate with my wife the other night about why some songs have IMO unnecessary words or sounds in them. We were listening to "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars. I really like the bass driven groove of that song. I also think Bruno Mars has a great voice. However, I don't care for the he, he, he, he, he, he, he, ooh thing that repeats through much of the song. IMO it is not needed and I personally find it a bit annoying. My wife on the other hand likes it. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way?

Here's the song for those not familiar with it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0

What are some other songs that you feel have unnecessary noises/sounds/lyrics in them?

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Unnecessary? Imo, anything by Yoko Ono. :bag:

3. FunkJunk96

FunkJunk96

+1

4. ErikW

ErikW

All of the "uh oh's" that every new song has. Hate them!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ErikW

ErikW

Uh oh's that is

7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I personally like it......btw, he sings "oh yeah yeah" 3x and then ooohhh!!!!

8. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    I'm Bruce Dickinson. Yes, THE Bruce Dickinson. Ya know, I tried telling him. He shoulda used a cowbell for that part.

tonk tonk tonk tonk.. tonk... tonk tonk tonk OOH

9. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I have never been a fan of unnecessary sounds. Like when people say "la la la" or anything that isn't a meaningful word. Except in RATM's "Freedom" when De La Rocha yells "Hey!". Because that's almost a political statement in itself.

10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Now that you mention it, I did always think that the cowbell in Don't Fear The Reaper was a bit of overkill.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i disagree! i love unnecessary words and sounds in songs. James Brown made it sexy decades ago. i love being challenged by trying to sing the song and nailing every vocal fill.

12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Every time a lazy song writer writes something to the effect of "my walls come crumbling down"or some other tired cliche I want to put my head through a wall..

13. audiomitch

audiomitch

It's art. There's no such thing as necessary or unnecessary. It's all in the ear of the beholder. Some people might think it would be a better song if he got rid of the bass and put in more grunting, and who's to say they'd be "wrong"?

IMO, the vocals work pretty well for what he's trying to achieve. Kind of a fluff pop piece.

14. gjbassist

Well I guess unnecessary is a personal preference, not an absolute. I guess what I'm saying is if a song would sound just as good without it then is it really necessary?

15. ToBorNottoB

ToBorNottoB Banned

milismas mistaken for melodies

16. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

Anything that pulls an American Idol:

How high can I sing and how much Vibrato can I put into a 3minute pop song?

"Call me... Call me... MAY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY AY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

#$% THAT!

ALL OF MY RAGE! :mad::mad:

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DO O O O OR OR YEEE-AAAAA-HHHHHH OOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOO

SMH

17. dreads311

dreads311

I love me some Beatles, but the na na na nas at the end if Hey Jude go on way too long. I think they could've cut it at bar 83 of it. :)

18. Richland123

Richland123

You must have been reading my mind. When I saw your thread, that is the first song that I thought about. I, too, like the song but thought that sound does not fit the song and distracts from it and should not be there.

19. backup

backup

it depends on the genre!

2.30min pop songs filled with oh's and hey's sound pathetic to me. if thats what youre talking about.

funk vamps with vocal fills by james brown as pacojas brought up, there is nothing to dislike about it. and its also not "unnecessary".
    same to say about similar genres. i mean take a listen to parliament! there are odd sounds, vocals, melodies, voices all over the place. but thats just right!

on the other hand, regarding the bruno mars thing i agree completely with op.
    i like that bruno mars tends to implement traditional elements. motown style minimalism would fit in well

20. gjbassist

So true. repetitive lyrics are annoying to me as well.
    Just like "Message In A Bottle" by The Police. I get it Sting! You are sending out an SOS!

21. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I think that in that track it's absolutely critical to repeat that as many times as possible to impart the hopelessness and despair, yet hanging on to something feel of the story.