Unplanned audition...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheOxRocks, Mar 22, 2014.

1. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

Reenie's a friend/colleague/former bandmate, and one of two lead singers in her band. Was going to her gig last night just to hang out and have fun. I've seen the band before.

Reenie is VERY insecure, and is always asking me to critique her band's performances. She's great, and has gained power and confidence and is an EXTREMELY hard worker. The rest of the band is very solid and fun (a dance/pop band playing mostly 60's and 70's). My main beef with her band is the bass player. He spends FAR more time mugging for the audience and trying to get himself into every photograph than he is playing his instrument. Throws clams out all over the place, sings and plays out of tune, and just doesn't seem to care about it. My friend tells me that he shows up late for rehearsals, goofs around most of the time and pisses off the other band members.

More than once she's told me that based on our past musical experience, her band would be better if I were in it.

Last night he did something I thought completely unforgivable: he popped an E string (some thing I've NEVER seen or done) and had NO spare strings (I ALWAYS carry not only a spare bass and strings, but also a small toolbox for emergency repairs/battery or string changes). He did the rest of the gig on a fretless MM that he'd just had refurbished, but wasn't even sure was in tune. I wound up doing roadie work, checking his tuning and intonation. He claimed he didn't know how.

As a reward, he let me come up and sing/play "Hotel California" with my friend. Totally rocked it, even though I had never played a fretless bass in my life. Just reminded myself to intentionally play a bit flat (that my fretting fingers should fall ON the side dots rather than slightly back as on a fretted instrument). No clams that I noticed...

Afterward, the male LS/BL collared me and said "You didn't know it, but you just auditioned. We've been thinking about firing the other guy, and Reenie has been trying to sell us on you. We saw you with your prior band and liked your singing/playing, but wanted to see how you'd fit with us. Just give the word, he's gone and the gig's yours."

Am flattered, but I've been trying to put my own thing together. Wondering if playing with two bands is an option...
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

That's a tough decision to make:
    Run your own show, or play for someone else's, or try and do both, without sacrificing the quality of either.

I guess you could sit down and figure out exactly what you want out of your own thing, and then figure out what you need to get there (other band members, equipment, time), and how available those things are to you (are there other musicians of the caliber you want readily available, etc), and, how long it will take to get to where you want it to be. Also figure out the pro's and con's of doing your own thing.

Then sit down and weigh out the details of playing with an already formed band, that wants you, you like and seem to get along with and (I assume) will pay you.

Then weigh the outcome of both and see what you come up with.

Bottom line, though, congrats on passing the audition! It feels good to be sought after :)
  3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

sounds like they want a guy with to be part of the band,not part time in the band....if you are not up for a commitment,tell your friend before that you have this other thing on the go.....
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I know that many, many do the split thing, but I have never seen how you can be devoted to making one superb without letting the other one slip. Not to mention the eventual conflicting gigs schedule. I've been there on both sides. Never seen it work well yet. One or the other, or actually both bands, will suffer, IME.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve

Steve

as flattering as I would personally find that to be, and I would;

I don't know as I would be interested in working for someone that goes for the drama like that. You got a staff issue, handle the staff issue. You want to hire a player, hire a player. You want me to enter the band through the cloak and dagger room...meh...
  7. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

If you like the band, join. Sometimes it can take ages trying to put your own thing together, find the right players that want to play what you want to play, can play it well, nice to get along with, dedicated...........etc
    If you like them and they have gigs already, I'd go for it.
    If you aren't that into them, flag it.

Worst case scenario, you could offer to fill in, get some gigs & cash while they look for a new bassist. Helps you out and them out.
  8. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Goes to show you should always give your best.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

^this^
  10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I was in two bands before my kids were born. It took a lot of boundary setting to make sure they didn't schedule gigs on the same night.
    Other than that, it was awesome! Kept my chops up and I got twice as much stage time.
  11. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

you're in demand, what could be better. take the gig
  12. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Ragequit before you join, it's the only option.
    Nashrakh likes this.
  13. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

THIS
    I don't care at all for surprises....even "good" ones...my reaction to learning a room of people were just critically judging my playing as a group and intentionally hiding it from me would not be a happy one.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Two bands can be tricky, unless one of them is your own project and you can book it around the other band's schedule.

I wouldn't call yours a "cloak and dagger" audition. For a variety of reasons (loyalty, convenience, friendship, hope, whatever) some bands may put up with one member's behavior for a while until it becomes totally unbearable. You were in the right place at the right time. If it's a fun band that gigs enough for you, why not?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  15. elgecko

elgecko

You never know who's listening. You're ALWAYS auditioning!
  16. madman4string

madman4string

+1
  17. Crash 56

Crash 56

This happened to me, with my brother-in-law's band. I went to see them, and the bass player wanted a break, so they asked me to play a couple tunes. I ended up doing a whole set, and they asked me afterward. I wasn't able to join them then, but it was nice to be wanted.
  18. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

This is terrific advice. Thanks! I should play better more often. :bassist:

BassCliff
  19. elgecko

elgecko

20. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I tried two bands before and it worked for awhile until both bands, on the same day booked a gig for the same night. Within a 10 minute time span I received two Emails about the two gigs. I played the gig with my band and had a friend who wasn't currently playing in a band sub in on the other band. Eventually I hooked him up with the other band. He was really a better fit for them.

If you have things going on the side that are not actual paying gigs and if your friend's band is fun and you enjoy her company set your stuff aside and go have some fun.
  21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi Mr. elgecko,

Thanks for sharing the article, good common sense there. I just finished a pit orchestra gig. Do you know anyone else who's hiring? ;)

Oh, and my band is playing at The Ranch this weekend. Feel free to stop by. I might be able to put you on the guest list if the chick singer hasn't used all the spots. :rolleyes:

BassCliff