Unresponsive AG500SC

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dontcallmeQRACK, Mar 26, 2014.

1. dontcallmeQRACK

dontcallmeQRACK

Hey all,

So I've been running an Aguilar AG500SC through a DB410 (@ 4ohms) for a year or so now with no problems. Its exclusively been used as a bass amp, but after buying a TC Electronics Ditto (Looper) the other day, I ran an acoustic/electric Yamaha through it. It was late at night and the gain/master levels were way down, and I hit the -10db button. All was smooth and there were no problems. I powered it down and went to sleep.

The next morning when I went to use it I could not get a signal from the amp (still can not:rollno:). The lights both illuminate, so I feel as if it's not a problem with the fuse. The only way I can get any signal from it is to bypass the preamp and plug into the FX send input.

Am I wrong in diagnosing this as a preamp problem? Could it be the input jack itself?

Was this a coincidental breaking, or do you think the pedal stressed it in some way? (I feel as if this is not really a possibility, and that it was a coincidence, but I've never really toyed with effects. Have always been a passive bass, direct in player)

If it is the preamp what is the most cost effective solution? My father is pretty handy with a soldering gun.

Thanks!
  2. dontcallmeQRACK

dontcallmeQRACK

If preamp recommendations become an aspect of this post, I play a Geddy Lee Jazz and prefer warm, full tones to punch/bite. I'd like something that could potentially deliver both though.

(I'm aware there are many preamp posts, but this thread is most concerned with whether my preamp is shot or not and how to check it rather than which preamp I should replace it with, if it is the case. Gear's always fun to talk about though, right? ;):bag:)
  3. Haji

Haji

Input jacks are a relatively high stress component, since they're usually either bearing the weight of the cable end all the time, or they're getting wear from being plugged into and out of if the head gets moved frequently. While it could be a pre-amp problem, I'd pull the case off and see if you can see any obvious problems with the input jack first.
  4. geoff chartier

geoff chartier

Dumb question: did you remove the pedals from the signal chain and plug your bass straight into the preamp input? Could be a dead battery or faulty pedal?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

I had a similar issue. The tech at Aguilar had me first try plugging my bass into the effects return jack to see if the power section was functioning. It did, so he believed it was an issue in the preamp stage. I sent it to Aguilar where they fixed it. I would recommend calling their tech line. I had a very good experience with their support
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Try linking the effects send and return with a signal cable to see if that helps.
  8. dontcallmeQRACK

dontcallmeQRACK

Thanks all,

Haji- I'm hoping that that is the case and am going to crack'er open when I get home tonight.

geoff chartier- yes, that was where i began troubleshooting, but a genuine thank you for posting that. the most simple solutions are indeed often overlooked.

punkrocko- glad to hear:) i left them a message earlier.

bassmanpaul- will try this as well. what's the science behind it, out of curiosity?