1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Unusual grounding in the electronics of my Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ze_Bass, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Ze_Bass

Ze_Bass

Hi everybody, today I noticed that there are two cables going to ground under the pickups of my Squier Jazz Bass.
    I show you a pair of pictures so that you can see them. Is that normal? I never saw it before on any schematic/picture that I found on the web.

Moreover, I also noticed that the jack connector was not grounded but only connected to the tone pot, so I grounded it by soldering a piece of cable from the jack to the body of the tone pot. Am I doing it right?

Attached Files:

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

Yeah, it's normal.
    Also you didn't need to ground the jack, as you yourself noted the circuit already is grounded, but it won't hurt that you did.

3. Ze_Bass

Ze_Bass

thank you for the fast reply, I'll leave the jack grounded then.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Those wires are to connect the metallic shielding paint to ground.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Yep. That's how shielding is done when the bass is shielded at the factory. Perhaps you're more used to seeing a tiny piece of copper tape with conductive adhesive, instead of the spade lug, or copper tape only, instead of conductive paint.

Jacks and pot chassis are rarely grounded with soldered connections, since mounting to a control plate or shielded pickguard or rear-route cavity accomplishes the same thing. There are mixed opinions on the inferiority of mechanical grounds. Some feel it doesn't matter; others feel a proper solder joint is key to a dependable wiring job.