Unusual Situation With Ex-BL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Apr 4, 2014.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, so mods please move if need be.

Anyway, it's a long story but I'll try to only put the important stuff in. Used to play in a Country band for a difficult and insane BL. Ragequit said band in glorious and fiery fashion, along with all of the others playing in this band. Over the following months, wound up back on speaking terms (long story), but certainly not what I would call "friendly". About a month ago he contacts me about filling in a few dates this summer for his current bass player who will be on vacation. I say I will consider it, strictly for the money, no interest in going back on my part. Happily playing with my current band anyway. Cool.

At our last show, guess who shows up? Ex-BL. Now, to be fair, the drummer and guitarist in my band have also played for this guy in the past. Pretty much every musician in a 50 mile radius has played with this guy at some point, it seems. Honestly, he would have no interest in our music, we do hard and classic rock, he is Country. Anyway, he comes in and starts setting up a video camera and taking pictures. No idea why. Venue owner knows this guy and asks me why he's here, and the way he talked about the Ex tells me that the relationship is not a solid one. I tell him I have no idea, I'm as surprised as anyone but I assure him that the Ex is in no way affiliated with our band or our act. We start playing, he starts taking pictures and recording. He leaves after our first set.

1. We are a cover band, not original, so we have not stolen any music that he may claim to "own".
    2. We play an entirely different genre of music than what his band does.
    3. None of us are particularly friendly with him anymore, in fact we mostly try to avoid him if possible.

So the rumor going around by the end of the night is that he's told a couple people that he's there because "These guys are friends of mine, but they don't have any promo material, so I'm helping them out, putting together a portfolio".

1. He is not a friend of ours.
    2. We have promo material including a website, electronic press kit, online recordings, Reverbnation, yadda yadda yadda, all the regular stuff.
    3. We have someone who books shows for us and does all of our contracts. Actually, it's our guitarist's wife and she does a fantastic job. And she's affordable ;).
    4. Allyson books us at decent places, for decent money, and we have all the gigs we want, as often as we want. Most of our places are repeat venues.
    5. For months he tried to post links to his gigs on our FB page. So much so that Pete eventually had to block him from the page.

So, any ideas what this dude might be up to? Knowing him I have a hard time believing he's doing something altruistic or benevolent. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why he did what he did.

Any thoughts?

2. NWB

NWB

It's generally impossible to figure out the motives of a nutter.

3. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

The only thing I can come up with is that at his age, and even in his band, he plays and sings very little, if any. He focuses his time on getting them bookings, which he is actually very good at, I will give him that. It's possible that in his retirement he's looking to work primarily promoting and managing bands, maybe? And possibly he's trying to put a pitch together to get us to dump Ally and bring him on as our "manager"? If so, ain't never gonna happen.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    No idea, but the songs and your performance are both copyrighted.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Can you PM me a little bit about this? Or put something up here? I've been reading about it in some threads here. He e-mailed me a couple pics he took of me up on stage. I didn't answer back. I love music but honestly the business/legalities are new to me because I was always "just a bass player" and somebody else has always managed and done the business end.

7. Tennesseemick

Tennesseemick Supporting Member

I'm guessing you'll know what he's up to to when you get the bill for all the work he's done for your band.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it, there are copyrights on the songs that you played, and a copyright on the video that was made. The songs belong to their authors, and a legitimate venue would buy a license for those songs to be performed on their premises. That kind of licensing is managed by companies like ASCAP and BMI.

But then, your performance -- both the audio and video -- is also copyrighted. It may be a toss-up who owns that copyright: The venue or the band. But probably not the videographer. If you didn't want to have a relationship with that person, you could politely ask them to destroy the video, and to refrain from distributing it.

Now, what the person can do with still pictures taken in a public venue is something I don't know.

Or, you could just say that you're not interested in the material, and see what happens before taking a stronger stance.