1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Upgrade a Squier or get a new 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomnomnom91, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Upgrade the Squier or get a 5 string?

1. Upgrade the Squier

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Get a 5 string

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Do something else with the money (please state)

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

Hey everyone. I've set around £200 aside to acquire SOMETHING bass related, so I've been wondering... Is it worth upgrading my Squier Mike Dirnt P Bass with some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, new hardware (including a Badass II bridge) and a new nut? I mean, would these upgrades make a difference that justify the cost? My other option is to get a 5 string; I've been looking at an ESP LTD B-15 and I really like it. Having played one, the setup seemed absolutely perfect, I like the fact it has 24 frets, and it looks ok, just the pickups seemed a bit noisy, which is quite an important issue to me.

So, advise me, TalkBass. Upgrade the Squier or get the 5 string?
  2. BrandenSteele

BrandenSteele

It comes down to what kind of music you are playing. The 5 sting bass you are looking at is a great bass guitar for the working bass player. If you are playing a lot of music that requires a low B I suggest you get the 5 string bass. However if you are rarely going to be using the 5th string I would suggest you upgrade your P-Bass since it is also a very good bass and would be even better with those pick ups!

TL;DR 5 string if you are playing music that requires the low B, if you are rarely going to be using it I suggest upgrading the Squier. :)
  3. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

I'm not an expert on electronics or the components in a bass when it comes to upgrading, having never even thought about it for my own basses, but if you don't own a 5 string then I would recommend it simply for gaining the experience!

The ESP LTD B-15 is a great starting point on this endeavour! I would also recommend a Yamaha RBX765A if you can find one, it has an amazing value for starting out with 5 string basses.
  4. ksandvik

ksandvik

I would personally upgrade a Squier if I got my hands on good quality used parts or cheaper good parts. If I would use my resources to get expensive parts, might as well shop for a bass that has those installed. For me the charm with Squiers is that every time you get a paying gig you are laughing on the way to the bank.
  5. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

for a mere $30.00 ($229.00 U.S.) more you can pick up B-55 which is a step up form the B-15....I bought my son a B-55 and it's a great bass!

For QP's your looking at $65.00
    Badass II $100.00
    Graph Tech Nut $12.00

That's roughly $180.00 bucks on parts and most shops have a rate of roughly $60.00 and hours for labor...that's a grand total of $240.00 and for that you could buy an all new Bass!
  6. Cambo

Cambo

Get yourself one of these:

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...asses/bb/bb425/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

or, if you can spring the extra cash, one of these:

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...ses/bb/bb1025x/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

Fantastic basses, in either price range.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  7. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

Thanks for your comments, everyone! It's looking like a five string, then. I might save up another few quid and get the B-55 rather than the B-15.
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Keep the money and the Squier CV. It's a great bass. If you feel you must squander some money then add the Seymour Duncan pickups.