1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

UPGRADE P BASS PICKUPS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Auldscot1, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Auldscot1

Auldscot1

I recently built my first bass, using Stewart McDonald neck, tuners, bridge, Golden Age P bass pickups, wiring etc. The body I carved myself from instrument grade curly European ash. I used StewMac components, since I wasn't sure if I could build a decent bass, and didn't want to waste money on high end components if it turned out to be a dog.
    The bass turned out well, and various bass players (a lot better than me) have complimented me on it. So, to my question....I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups, and I'm leaning towards EMG PHZ or possibly Fender Original 1962 P Bass pickups. Does anybody have any experience of the Stewmac versus EMG, Fender or any other pickups? Any suggestions on any other brands? I play this bass and a Ned Steinberger electric upright in an acoustic band typically in small venues through a Phil Jones Flightcase amp.
  2. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

can't go wrong with the '62 Original
  3. darkside 88

darkside 88

DiMarzio Split P's are a piece of work.
  4. sbpark

sbpark

I have no experience with the EMG, or the other pup you originally installed, but did recently install a '62 'Original' in my '76 P. It previously had a Dimarzio Model P which I didn't like. I was going for a more old-school P sound, and the '62 pup fit the bill perfectly. Full, but not muddy, fat, round and growls, and the notes are well defined.
  5. Davo-London

Davo-London

There are hundreds of threads on this.

Try the search button at the top right. There are as many opinions as there are pickup makers!

Davo
  6. sbpark

sbpark

Plus, you have to first decide what kind of sound you are looking for. As a previous poster mentioned, there are endless threads on pups. Figure out what sound you are shooting for first, then start searching the threads for pups that fit that sound, and remember it's all subjective.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Golden Age pickups are actually very good. I haven't used them myself, but other builders I know like them a lot.

P bass pickups are very easy to make correctly. They will all sound pretty much like the real thing. Then you will find variations on them.
  8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with Golden Age pickups.

Here is a list of P in my order of tone preference:

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II and Aguilar AG 4P-60
    Seymour SPB-1
    Fender 62 Reissue

The wild card here is the Dimarzio P. It's in a league or style of its own because it is a ceramic pickup. It's assertive without being aggressive, it's got hot output huge bass highs and mids. I adore this pickup but it does not sound like a Fender traditional pickup. It's a different beast. It edges on a 70's Fender pickup but it's more in your face. This is a great budget option too. Since it's priced in the ballpark of the 62' Reissue and the SPB-1.

To my ears all the pickups listed ahead of the Fender 62 RI offer a significant amount of improvement. Pass that it's a question of style and tonal preference. They are all great pickups.
  9. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    I personally really like the Lollar P bass pickup. Has a lot of punch to it. Look at Nordstrand or Fralin also. I have yet to check out the new Aguilar P bass pickup but knowing those guys it probably kicks ass.
  10. Laurent

If you like Lollar and Fralin, I suspect you will not like the Aguilar. It's polar opposit of these two.
  11. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Im familiar with the Lollars and Fralins. Haven't tried an Aggie pup yet. How would you say they are different?
  12. Laurent

The Aggie is the warmest pickup I have tried. It's incredibly woolly, round. It has mid punch, limited highs and very round bass. It's similar to an Antiquity II but it has its own personality. The Antiquity two has more bass and is a tad less punchy in the mids.

To my ears the Lollars and Fralins are a lot more aggresive with and abrasive edge to the highs.
  13. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Neat. I will be trying an Aguilar P pup soon...

I like the Fralin, but it sounded nearly identical to the Fender Vintage reissue in my '62 AVRI.

The Lollar is probably the "clearest" and "widest" I've heard. Yup. Lot's of highs and extended lows. I like it just as long as the instrument sounds killer acoustically - otherwise it's a little too 'honest'!
  14. luzceloffan

luzceloffan

I have tried the emgs, fenders and lollars. And to my taste lollars are tne ones to go.
  15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'd actually love to hear how the Golden age P'ups sound. I have some cheap P'up's that came loaded in some bodies I purchased and they sound wonderful. I'll get flamed for this but... there's only so much you can do with magnets and wire. A lot of it is just Hype IMO. Yes some pickups have weaker output but that's want the volume knob is for.
  16. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Talking about what you can do with magnets and wires...

Lace Aluma P is a revolutionary design, clear (NOT high fi) tone
    For some reason, not very popular around here
    Totally passive!

Here's a demo:
    http://youtu.be/Iq6hpvjs47Y?t=1m40s

To me they have the vintage tone (?) but with a modern vibe
    Highly recomended... I have used the alumitones since day one.

Had a problem with the originals

LACE MUSIC replaced them at no charge :bassist:
  17. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

BTW I think that the "lows" of the Lace Aluma P is UNREAL
    and the "highs" can be easily removed with the tone knob!
  18. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    I am going to be dropping another Lollar P in one of my basses soon. Jason and crew are amazingly down to earth people who are a real pleasure to deal with. I consider their pickups the best on the market right now and their customer service is a prime example of how all businesses should be ran.
  19. bumperbass

bumperbass

Opinions on this will be very subjective. 1,000 people will have 1,000 suggestions for you. I was in this position myself a while back. I chose the Original '62 pickup. I figured I couldn't go wrong, especially for the price. I'm afraid you'll have to read possibly a thousand posts and decide for yourself.
    Here's a site with sound clips.
    http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3672
    I couldn't find THAT much difference in a lot of them that EQ'ing wouldn't take care of. I bought a used PBass and I decided I'm leaving the stock pickup it in there and will be experimenting with strings instead because IMO there's more of a difference in strings than there are with pickups.
  20. fede_carbonero

fede_carbonero

I wouldn't put EMG HZ, can't go wrong with basslines, go for the SPB-3 or the SPB-2