1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Upgrade time - Fender American Std P Bass or Yamaha BB1024

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osmeier, Mar 4, 2014.

1. osmeier

osmeier

I've been playing a mate of mine's bass for the past 6 months and the time has come for me to get my own.

I'm in a toss up between these two:
    http://shop.musix.ch/de/Yamaha-BB1024-TBS-Tobacco-Brown-Sunburst.html

Or
    http://shop.musix.ch/de/Fender-American-Standard-Precision-Bass-RW-3-Tone-Sunburst.html

The truth is there's a heavy relic cs that I simply can't justify paying the price for yet, but I want that deep p-bass rumble so for the next 2-5 years it's one of the above.

Anyone owned Yamaha and a fender, who can provide some input?

Cheers.

2. Apolicious

Apolicious

There's a shop near here that has that Yamaha. I've played it a few times and it's quite nice, but it's a little too "clean" sounding for me, if you catch my drift. It doesn't quite have the cahones of your typical fender.

That being said, 2-5 years is a long time to stick with a single-pickup instrument.

3. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

Media:
    I'll put in a vote for the Fender. The new ones since 2008 are super nice. Good luck.

4. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

If you want to sound like a P-Bass... well...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

This

7. osmeier

osmeier

Thanks guys. Exactly the type of advice I wanted to hear.
    Fender standard it is. If you would've said that the p bass tone and the fender growl was easily reproduced by the Yamaha, it would've been a different story.

I say wait for 2 - 5 years because I need to put the scratch together for this beauty

http://www.fender.com/en-CH/basses/precision-bass/1964-heavy-relic-precision-bass/

if I can't find this one:
    http://www.fender.com/en-CH/basses/precision-bass/limited-relic-1955-precision-bass/

Thanks again.

8. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

This is a really tough decision. The BB series are proven road warriors, but it's hard to compete with an American Standard Precision. All the BB's I've played sounded HUGE.

9. djaxup

djaxup

I've yet to see any bass really recreate that earthy fender p tone that does not read fender or squier on it's headstock. A large bunch is able to get into the same region thou.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have. I've owned two SX basses that did, and I've got a parts PJ that does as well. One of the SX basses I recorded a few years ago and posted a blind comparison of it and a 79 Precision I had just got, and most people on here liked the SX's sound better and thought it was the 79. Sold all of them but the parts PJ eventually but the 79 was the first to go. Made $300 on it, too ;)

That said, the Fenders just feel right to me compared to other Fender style basses, even expensive ones.

11. SpruceGoose54

SpruceGoose54

You can get a lot of different sounds from the precision. I don't know why people say it isn't very versatile. Hitting the strings near the neck, bridge, or middle really give you different sounds. Plus the tone knob can really alter it.

12. sps500

sps500

BB.... Love em..

13. osmeier

osmeier

Stupid question but is there a difference in tone comparing MIA & MIM p bass'?

14. Alexander

Alexander

IME, yes there is. I found the electronics to be underwhelming, to say the least (in my MIM P). Build quality and components were (again, IME) quite a bit below the MIA Jazz bass I had. YMMV

15. bassliner50

bassliner50

Just get the Precision. Big meaty tone, easily modded or sold if you become disenchanted. My piano is a big Yamaha, and I give it a good endorsement. Yami's piano's are proven. Fender's basses are proven to say the least.

16. osmeier

osmeier

Awesome. Thanks for all the info guys!

17. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

^ My mileage varied. I have a 2000 mim P that I would put up against any MIA for sound. That said , a lot of the older ones didn't sound as good as an MIA. There are a few (like mine) that do but for the older ones , they are the exception. The newer ones , from everything I have heard are pretty close so I would say , try it , listen to it and if it feels good (and sounds good) do it.