Upgrade Time.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Dec 8, 2013.

1. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    I have been playing through an old Peavey Combo head and Peavey 1516 cab. It has worked great for my low volume practice at home. Yesterday I had a few hours of alone time, so I decided to see what she was capable of. My bad, at a volume that would be about right for a snall gig, the 15" black widow would distort so bad that it sounded like it was ripping. Time for that Ampeg PF350 and new cab.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just remember, bass at volume requires more speakers than wattage. 350 watts is plenty, as long as you have a big enough cab. Think 410 or 212 as a minimum.
  3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Some older BW speakers had a foam insert in the back of the magnet that can deteriorate over time. Does the speaker move smoothly if you press on it gently in different places on the cone?
  4. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Honestly, when I gor it, the bw had a ripped dust cover, and the fiam was gone. I replaced the dust cover.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

It's also possible that the head is in need of some maintenance; old power supply capacitors can cause several problems, and old caps in the signal chain can also muddy up the sound. These problems could be manifesting themselves at higher volumes.
  7. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Yeah, kinda thinking time to get my newer gear. Playing mostly Miles Davis type now. Nit sure what brand amp and cab would be best.
  8. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    So, I got to play my jazz bass through several different setups today. By far my favorite. Peavey Session Bass through a 115 & 410 cabs. Peavey Tour 450 through an 810 was nice, but had too much for my needs. GK 1001RB through a GK 410, was nice but holy cow expensive. I can get the Session for $150, Peavey 115 cab $180. Peavey 410 cab $229.
  9. Cirk

Cirk

Brands don't say much. Everybody can make a dog now and then. Listen with your ears, not your eyes. Some will tell you the 4x10 + 1x15 is bad. I say if it sounds good to your ears and budget, roll with it. Be careful with that 15 as it will feel the stress long before your 4x10. You can read up on this in the stickies. Best of luck to you!
  10. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Agree, for the most part. I am only lookong for MY tone. The Peavey stuff all seems to hit it. What I really liked about the Session, I had tons of headroom left with it shaking the whole store. I was in heaven...well almost.
  11. deathsdj

deathsdj

I'm a big fan of Peavey gear. Great value for the dollar. Great tone and I can get a good grind from my Dual Firebass setup.
  12. Cirk

Cirk

Of course, make sure you do your homework (read lots of reviews, etc.) And have someone qualified look over the relevant piece of gear before purchase. No reason to inherit someone else's problem.