1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

upgrades ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J Bass II, Apr 13, 2014.

1. J Bass II

J Bass II

Jan 19, 2014
    I bought a Fender Squire P bass yesterday, sort of on impulse. New, with a Fender gig bag and strap for $160.00. The price was just too good to pass up and I plan on using it as a backup or alternative to my MIA Fender Custom Shop jazz bass.

I played around on it for a couple of hours and it sounds pretty good and I'm going to replace the strings with some flat wound's. The color is arctic white with a white pick guard and visually it's about as interesting as a cup of vanilla pudding. I want to change the pick guard to something that would give it some interest. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about swapping the neck for a Fender made jazz bass neck. I have smallish hands and the jazz neck is easier to play for me. Also the neck on the bass now has a rosewood fret board and I would like to get a maple fret board on the new neck. No reason other than I've never had anything other than a rosewood fret board before, it's just a visual thing.

What about the pickup? Is it worth the cost to change it and what would be a good replacement?

What about the bridge and tuning machines?

A little background here. I'm 64. I don't play funk, metal, grunge, etc. Don't play slap and pop and normally don't use a pick. My bass guitar hero is Carol Kaye and I stand in awe of the E Street Band. Bass amps don't have anything smaller than 15" speakers. My Fender Rumble 150 has more buttons, knobs, and doodads than I know what to do with.
    Most of what I play is 60's, 70's and some 80's rock, Motown, a little old country standards and some jazz or blues. The guys I play with are about my age and most of the time we play at the ' dead animals' clubs or weddings. We like to see people get up and dance.

I'm not looking to spend another $3,000.00 on a $160.00 bass just to spend money. Just some up grades that will customize it for my use.

Thanks

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    No offense but for the cost of all the upgrades you want to do you could have purchased a new MIM or good used MIA or MIJ bass.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Other than the pickguard, I'd get to know it for awhile before any changes. You might find you like it just fine as-is, and if not, you'll have a better idea what you want to change and why.

But I'm sure others will chime in with all sorts of changes you could make.

5. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    if you're happy with the way it plays, upgrading the pickups will give you the most bang for the buck. If you want to swap to a jazz neck, don't worry about tuners until you see what the neck ends up coming with.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If you get a Tortoise guard you may find you like the appearance of rosewood neck better. Maybe check the web for pictures of that combination and see if you like it before committing.

I second the idea of pickups as the best bang for the buck improvement, my preference for a P bass like that with flats would be Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

7. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Then why have a back up bass?

8. This is my thought as well. Give it a chance.