1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Upgrading a Modulus?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duderus, Dec 5, 2012.

1. duderus

duderus

I recently purchased the vertex modulus bass, plugged it in and thought wow what "even-ness". The neck, feel, and sound remind me of my Pedulla but faster neck with more thickness.

So to my point. I have a Quantum 4 with one EMG active pickup. I like that bass, but this one with passive electronic seems to outperform in most instances. So, my questions are as follows: please answer what you can. I need opinions...

1. Should I stick with the Bartolini soapbar? Would it even be worth going to a LanePoor? (I never tried a Lane Poor, but heard these are getting more popular)
    2. Or should I upgrade to active bartolini? Is it worth it you think?
    3. Or should I upgrade to active Aguilar bass preamp (I never really tried aguilar stuff, but I heard they have a nice growl)

4. Better yet should I just get an Outboard Aguilar to have options?
  2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

What problem are you trying to fix?
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Aint broke, dont fix it.

You like the passive sound? It took me years and a lot of money trying all different pre amps to come to the realization that a good sounding passive bass just sounds better.

If you have the money and a second Bass, why not try a bunch of different configurations, this way you will no longer say "I never really tried..." Cause you will have tried it all and go back to passive, hahaha.
  4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Ok so are you asking if you should make the Vertex active or the Q4 passive, or...?

I've had about 7 Modulii, and they all had their own charms and quirks to them. You have two solid basses there. I wouldn't change either of them from what they are, and definitely not the Vertex.
    If anything I'd maybe try a Bart pickup and pre in your Q4 and see how that works. That was my favorite combo on the Quantums, with the Bart p'up and Aguilar pre being 2nd.
    However the EMGs in Quantums to me always sounded fine.