Upgrading an Ibanez...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DannyBob, Apr 13, 2014.

1. DannyBob

DannyBob

I've heard that the preamps and/or pickups in the lower end SR range are poor, however I don't really have anything to go off for myself about whether it sounds bad for me or not. If I did want to change anything out, where would I start?

Thanks,
    Dan :)

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

With pickups you want to get the same size of pickups which your bass already has, be this P, J, MM or soap bars. But note there are a few different J sizings and soap bars come in a variety of sizes. Of course, if you wanted, you could always route the bass to fit a different pickup - not particularly cheap to do well.

As for preamps, just something that fits the same number of holes you have now. Of course you can add extra holes easily enough, but it depends on how large the control cavity is and how much space you need to work with.

That's just the physical fitting of the parts though. As for sound, what don't you like, what would you like to add to your basses tonal palette? Seems to me that you think it sounds bad because you've read it, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. It's all qualitative, we all have different sonic preferences.