1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Upgrading cabinets dilemma - Hartke TP to Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ivokbg, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ivokbg

ivokbg

Hi guys!

Lately I've been wanting to upgrade the weakest part of my rig - the two 210 Hartke Transporter cabs.

First I thought Hartke XL would be wise choice 'cause I'm always gettings compliments on my tone and I thought everything is top notch. However this little devil inside my head keeps worsening my GAS and keeps telling my to try Ampeg cabs. Ampeg head - ampeg cabs. Makes sense, right?

Now where the main problem is. I'm using DI to the PA system, so the cab is just a personal monitor for me. Now, the Hartkes are very very midrangey and even though I've been using the V-shape EQ lately, which sounds awesome through the DI, through the cab I still have a good amount of bite which allows me to hear myself in live situations.

Since the Ampeg cabs are somewhat scooped sounding /to me of course....or at least scooped sounding compared to the Hartkes/ I'm concerned about being able to hear myself live. Yes, I can boost the mids but that would also lead to changing the tone through the PA and I don't want that. Yeah, with the V-shaped EQ I'm not cutting very well but I think that type of bass tone compliments the sound of the band as a whole.

So, do you think going from Hartke to Ampeg cabinet will be a drastic change in tone and would that mean I won't be able to hear myself as well as I'm able to do now?

P.S. I kept referring to the potential new cab as "the ampeg cab" and I haven't specified which model. Since I want a tall stack I'm thinking of two 410he.

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Yes. I like Hartke stuff, but the TP series is not my favorite of the Hartke line.

No. I consider that "scooped" thing a myth, at least when it comes to the 410he.

3. fabubass

fabubass

The Hartke xl 4-10 is the one to get. I have been using the same cabinet for 15 years with a GK 1001RBll. Still sounds Awesome!

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Lots of ways to approach this. Some guys would tell you to get In Ear Monitors and run with out an amp. Some would tell you that your stage sound doesnt matter, and the audience doesnt care what you sound like anyways. Others would tell you that every piece of ampeg gear is horrible, or the best thing ever. Some would suggest boutique cabs instead, or beefing up your PA and monitor system.

The point is there will be a lot of directions given to you in a thread like this.

My question is this, have you played through the cabs you are looking at moving to? You need to try them, and hopefully in a band setting, so that you can find out if they will work for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Nameless

The Nameless

If it ain't broke? Don't fix... Smiley eq works at home, sometimes live, but bein adaptable, understanding the eq and its effects, and havin a purpose when usin eq; specific tone or battlin a room. Most heads have a "pre" or "post" switch, to isolate your onstage eq curve from your D.I. send to the "house". I will never understand why a guy says,"I'm gettin compliments on my tone, but I need to upgrade...". Dependin on your head, those Hartke cabs could be integrated to a bigger system, addin to rather than givin up somethin yer usin wit good results. Ampeg cabs are not my fave, but recently I used a couple classic, sealed 410 cabs and was impressed. I also used a Hartke 215xl cab fer a few years. Put a 215 under one of yer 210s? An you'd be fine for years. imho an ime... Ampeg are good cabs, but there's a LOTTA gear out there. Try as much as you can. Make as informed a decision. An let yer ears tell ya what ya need...