1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Upgrading Kustom PA cabs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 9, 2012.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yeah yeah, Kustom is crap, yada yada, heard it all before. Save the insults!

I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in the 2 Kustom 15" PA cabs I have. I want 300w-400w handling and full range. Any recommendations other than to buy new cabs?? I just want to upgrade these.

2. Simon Rose

Simon Rose

For the amount of money you will spend on nice speakers you could get a new cab with them in it for a little bit more money.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

You will spend a lot. You will be unlikely to get the crossover right. You will have speakers with no more resale than the ones you have now. Sell them and buy good used stuff.

4. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

Being that what the other guys are saying is right, I won't kick your Kustoms.

I would suggest if you are hell bent to do it, just buy Carvin drivers and put them in. I'd also get the Carvin two way crossovers as well as replace the HF driver. This will not improve the quality of sound, but you will be able to make it the same only a little louder. The box is as critical as the drivers. A fuzzy carpeted box is a fuzzy carpeted box, even though it might be covered in tolex. I wouldn't waste chasing down any old JBL drivers or EV drivers, just throw Carvins in. Better drivers does not necessarily fix a mediocre design.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Thanks. This is what I was looking for.