1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Upgrading my Amp on a college budget

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by goodvibes, Dec 10, 2012.

1. goodvibes

goodvibes

Hey all, thanks for taking the time to read this. Im just getting back in a band for the first time since I started college.We have two guitar players who use a ton of delay. Im thinking of getting a Sunn Coliseum but am open to suggestions and I need help picking out a cab. I dont have a ton of money to spend as I previously mentioned I am going to school. Thanks in advance!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your actual budget, and how loud do you need to be? What kind of tonal goals do you have? Do you have any size restrictions, or pack space limits?

I would start by looking at what is available to you used and go from there. IMHO the desert/stoner rock scene has blown the cost of the Sunn amps way overboard, and once again IMHO they are not that special to begin with.

3. goodvibes

goodvibes

Im looking to spend around $1000 total for both.I like a little overdrive on at all times, with some full blown distortion throw in from time to time. And im looking towards nothing bigger than a 4x10.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    How loud do you need to be?

7. dalkowski

dalkowski

I was thinking Carvin too. You can do a lot with $1K if you're smart about it.

8. goodvibes

goodvibes

Ill check it out. Thanks!

9. goodvibes

goodvibes

Loud enough to play basement shows. The guitar players are using peavey heads into 2x12s if that helps

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would look for a 8 Ohm 115 or 212, and a head that pushes ~500 watts at 4 Ohms. This way when you need you can add a second matching 115 or 212.

11. niki z

niki z Supporting Member

Used GK 400 or 800rb $200-$350
    Used 4X10 Ampeg,Gk,Eden etc. $400

The rb can get a nice grind dialed in right. Also, there are so many good CL deals out there for 4X10s. GC online has tons of used ones also.

12. goodvibes

goodvibes

Thanks a lot everyone. Ill look into all of these suggestions. Keep em coming if there's anything else you think I should take a look at