Upgrading my bass ... maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bwwhite, Feb 11, 2014.

1. bwwhite

bwwhite

I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5-string bass that I play through a Markbass CMD 102P 2x10 combo amp. I'm considering the purchase of another 5-string bass. What would you all consider to be an "affordable" step up from the Schecter? Could I step up for under $1K?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bruce

PS--I only play in a band at church.
    PSS--I do love my Schecter. Just want to broaden my bass horizon. ;)

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading?

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you sold/traded the schecter and had about a 600-700 budget You could maybe find used Am std. Fenders at that price. 5 strings models that is, that being said schecters are very nice basses.

4. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I have a couple possibilities.. You could gor for a used G&L USA L2500... probably one of the best made, most versatlie basses on th emarket to date. Another, less conventional solution would be the Reverend Mercalli 5... somewhat similar to the G&L design, but much better looking IMO... I have basses from both of these companies and I love them both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bwwhite

bwwhite

BruceBass3901--That's a very good question. Don't know that I have a good answer except "I just want another good bass" (even better than the one I have).

JellinWellen--I don't want to sell my Schecter (love it too much). Also, Fender basses, although praised nearly universally, just don't appeal to me.

cv115505--Good suggestions. Both are quite nice looking.

I believe I will have to haunt a few music stores and play some expensive basses and see where that leads me. :)

Bruce

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

8. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I always say keep your first bass.

You can get an ok new bass, but likely move up a step if you buy used.

9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I've got a Stiletto Elite 5 string, which was my first 5er. It sounds great and looks cool, and plays pretty well, but I found the string spacing too tight for my big right hand. So my second 5er had 18mm spacing. But if I *had* liked a tighter spacing, I'd have gone for a G&L 2500, either used USA or new Tribute, which is 17mm (0.5mm wider than the Schecter).

10. bwwhite

bwwhite

Now I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups in my Stiletto Studio 5. I've got an appointment with a local bass luthier (Brown's Guitar Factory) to have them take a look at it and make suggestions. I'm also going to put on a set of Elixir Nanoweb strings. That might satisfy my upgrade urge for a while. Of course, I'll also hit GC and play some expensive basses. :)