1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Upgrading? My PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by moten33, Nov 16, 2012.

1. moten33

moten33 Supporting Member

Hey All,

I have posted a few times about my low budget PA system. Currently I have:

(2) Behringer VP2520 2x15 Mains 500w RMS
    (4) Zebra 250w RMS monitors
    Behringer XYNEX 2442FX Mixer
    Behringer EP2000 amp
    Cheap 1000w Ap to run the monitors

I picked up a Behringer EP4000 amp off zzounds (price beat Walmart price so got it for $271).

I don't plan on changing the mixer or amps at this point, maybe eventually.

Today I picked up a pair of Carvin 942 15" mains which are 400w at 8ohms.

My plan is to run the two Carvin mains off channel A of the EP4000 (1400w per side at 4ohms) and find two other mains to run off channel B of the EP4000. I would then add two 750w or so subs and run them off the EP2000.

A couple questions:

1.) Does this make sense?
    2.) Will two 750w subs be acceptable with say two 400w mains and two 600w mains or should I try to get another EP4000 to run subs at the same wattage as the mains?
    3.) Any suggestions for cheap (but better than Behringer) 600w RMS mains to add to this setup?
    4.) Any suggestions on subs in the 750w range (or 1000w+ range if needed in question 2) at a reasonable price?

I am keeping this as low budget as possible while still trying to upgrade my setup. Is this even an upgrade? I am assuming it is as the Carvins sound nice and the subs will add more low end than the 2x15 Behringers could produce. Thanks in advance!
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Seems like going in the wrong direction a bit, though not totally.

You'd be surprised how loud and clear a pair of mains can get when you take the demand of producing low frequencies off of them.

I'd start by focusing on spl/output in the frequencies the respective speakers will be playing and much less on "wattage".

I'd probably pick up the Carvin mains. Their stuff can sound quite good, better than the price would make you think. Then flip the big 215 behringers for a pair of decent subs and an active crossover, again focusing on spl/output potential in the frequencies they'll be playing and not so much on wattage.

Set the crossover for 100-120hz and study up on proper subwoofer placement and you're good to go.

Need louder/more, simply double up speaker count on both subs and mains.
  3. modulusman

modulusman

Those carvin speakers are how old? I'm guessing at least 20 years. You are going to have a mismatched set-up if you are wanting to add another set of main speakers. You might also blow the carvins up running 700 watts into each cab.
  4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

What kind of band?

How loudly do you play?

What kinds/sizes of venues?

How many in the audience?

What's going through your PA?
    Vocals only?
    Bass & Drums?
  5. pflash4001

pflash4001

WALMART SELLS Behringer?!?!

My experience with Behringer has been very hit or miss...mostly miss. I really think in stuff like this, you get what you pay for. Cheaper gear tends to be noisy and unreliable. Again, this is MY experience. Buy the BEST you can now, even if it means taking a bit longer to get it complete. It makes no sense to buy and sell and replace. Buy something with quality, good sound, and reliable once.