Upgrading my RBX 375!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilmārs Priede, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Hello dear members of TalkBass!​

I've been playing my trusty ol' Yamaha RBX 375 for quite some time now (about 1,5 years). And considering I'm not the first owner of that particular instrument it has some battle scars and wear in terms of looks and also performance.

So instead of buying a new gun (which i cannot really afford at the moment since I dont really want to invest in an average tier instrument as I really intend for it to be my partner in making money and meeting new musicians) I decided to look through options to upgrade it.

So long story short - here are some images of my bass :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the questions are :

Is it worth upgrading in the first place?

What are my options to improve the sound/tone of it?'

Is it worth changing the pickups? These ones as you may see has some rust over them, I dont really know if it affects the sound much. (previous owner had and accident)

How hard it would be to make it from active to passive? (many amplifiers tend to overflow indicating that the signal output is too strong even if i turn down the volume knob)

Is it safe to sand off the silvery/greyish color? (I really like the wood grain and the look of it beneath, as you can see in the pictures in some areas where the wear has taken its toll) Also what would be the appropriate tools and set of actions to do so?

I tend to play this one as a 4 string bass even though it should have 5 strings. I used to play with all five. Ive been told that it can bend the neck in long term usage, but a year later nothing really has changed. The tuning accuracy isn't perfect, but as I said it hasn't changed since I dropped the B string.

So there you go. I really love my instrument and I mo
    st certainly dont want to sell it or get rid of it as Ive dont with all my guitars and regretted it.
    I would gladly appreciate any advice whatsoever. And professional input would really help! Thank you!

2. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

To see pictures right click -> "copy image URL" and paste it in your adress bar! Thanks.