Upgrading Pickups -electronics and HW to my Fender Jazz Bass American Standard,

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AMIEL, Jan 10, 2013.

1. AMIEL

AMIEL

Hi, I am new here,

I have a Fender Jazz Bass American Standard,

I want to upgrade the pickups, maybe the electronics and the bridge.
    is there any Jbass Pickup that have the Bite, brightness and presence of the Jbass Stock pickups without the Hum/buzz and with the balance between the strings and the lowend of the Dimarzio Jbass pickups?

also any good bridge?

it is recommended to add the Fender S-1 switch?

what about the potentiometers?

Thanks and I hope i can get some great advise and maybe any other recommendations
  2. AMIEL

AMIEL

and what about the Lollar and Bill Lawrence Pickups?
  3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass Amiel.

Two of the most useful features of this site are the search function and the "Stickys." At the top of each section are a few threads that have so much good info that they were made into Stickys so they could be easily referenced. In the Pickups & Electronics section there is a comparison of numerous jazz pickups. A search will also turn up tons of good info on potentiometers, capacitors, etc. In the Hardware section there are several discussions on bridges.

Since it all comes down to player preference there is no definitive "best" pickup, bridge, potentiometer, etc. It's important that you read as many opinions as you can, ask specific questions, and then choose what you think best fits your needs.

Cheers
  4. Cadfael

Cadfael

An S-1 in p basses is useless to me. It sounds too weak.

But the S-1 for series wiring of both PUs in a JB makes sense to me.
    An S-1 for parallel (inner) JB-HB coils makes no sense (like in a P bass).

I like my Delano AL/M2 JB-HB pickups. They sound better than my DiMarzio JB-HB. But even the Delanos can not deny that they are humbuckers (concerning mids and "directness").

Maybe ask SGD Lutherie? But I do not know how much they cost ...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AMIEL

AMIEL

Thanks, I liked the balance between the strings that the dimarzio Jbass pickups give, but they lose the hi mid clarity and bite of the stock Jbass pickups...any other pickups that can give me both characteristics?
  7. AMIEL

AMIEL

H Testing! thank you so much for that info! is great..love this forum!!!!