1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

UPgrading practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BirdThunder, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

I recently purchased a thunderbird and it sounded great in the studio (i think they were using this ampeg head) And I was wondering why the sound sucks when I practice at home, since i'm a novice in amps, I looked up mine and it has only 10w (Epiphone studio bass 10), I've been eyeing a fender rumble 75 but would it be too loud? or a 30w amp would be better? any advice?

2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

There isn't really a "too loud" in your situation because you can always turn down and/or put on headphones.
    If the research you have done ( you have done it....?) Leads you to believe that the fender has the right tone to compliment your style, then by all means get it. It gets great reviews here.

3. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Ah I forgot to say this, cause when I crank the volume when playing my thunderbird, the sounds gets distorted so the 10w amp is just set to 2 or 3. If I get a higher watt amp I could crank it up more then that without distorting the sound right?

4. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Well... yes.
    Sky's the limit if that's your only variable! You would do fine with an amp with 75-150 watts for what you are saying you want.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Thanks! Any recommendation aside from a fender rumble 75?

7. Linnin

Linnin

Yes, a Fender Rumble 75 would be an excellent choice for you. I've had mine for over a year and half of perfect service for both personal practice and small jazz duo gigs.

Sweetwater is blowing out it's remaining stock of version 2 Rumbles as it awaits the arrival of Fender's newly redesigned version 3 Rumble series. I'd simply recommend you buy the most watts you can comfortably afford.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=fender+rumble&sb=popular&params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiQ2F0ZWdvcnkiOlsiMTM4MiJdfX0

8. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Ampeg's BA 115 is pretty solid. They're fairly common to find used, which is where I got mind. The footprint big but I like the tilt feature.

9. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

If you had a microheAd you can just add a cube with a 10" or a12" speaker. Just a thought I do not know your amp situation.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

ANYTHING will be better than your 10 watt Epiphone amp. I happen to have one of those lying around and I can confidently say it's the worst practice bass amp in the world.... even something like a Rumble 15 would be a HUGE improvement.
    For $99 you can get an Ampeg BA108 which will be worlds better as a practice amp. Or you can go up from there depending upon your budget and needs.

11. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

^THIS. Thanks guys! craigslist hunting for me.