Upright Recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MIMJAZZ, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

I'm in highschool and I've been playing electric bass for 10 years and upright for 6 or 7. I was renting an old Kay bass for a long time, but my mom said it would be better if I bought my own bass. So, I got something cheap as dirt. I've been playing a cruddy Carlos Robelli upright bass that I got for $200.

Come graduation, I really want to have a nice upright to get me through college and beyond. What do you recommend?

I need it to be as versatile as possible. Classical, Jazz, Bluegrass, Country, the whole works. That's why I love Kay basses so much, but I want to open my view to see if there is something else out there.

What do you think?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

3. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with Robelli but have you taken it to a luthier to see if a good setup would help? I mean if you only have $200 invested in it adding a little more into it could be worthwhile. Just make sure you take it to someone who will give you an honest assessment. Luckily, you live a city with a lot of resources.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jsn

Jsn

Okay. You're a teenager with six or seven years of experience. Now you're looking to buy "a nice upright to get me through college and beyond." You also want it "to be a versatile as possible." So what should you buy?

The only way to answer your question is with a question: how much can you afford to pay? Because the answer is: get the best bass you can afford. There are no abstract "best" basses, independent of pricetag. The search starts with a budget.

Also: I'm a Kay owner myself, but I'll be the first to tell you it's not an ideal instrument for classical music.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1! I don't what you're up to sunshineflower7, but it's not lookin' good. :rollno:

Perfect. :)