1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Upright thump

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stickynotes, Jan 19, 2014.

1. stickynotes

stickynotes

Anybody out there found an electric bass that gets a reasonable upright sound. I know there's no substitute for the real thing but there must be a hollow body or even an acoustic/electric out there that gives you a pretty good thud for rockabilly type stuff.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

I've been using hollowbody basses to mimic uprights for decades. My current favorites in no particular order are a Gretsch Electroline G5442BDC, Epiphone Jack Casady Signature, and a Hofner Icon Club Bass. Many will get you there if you use flats (I use Labella nylon tapes) maybe a mute, but that's just part of it. I found that adjusting my technique, plucking position, note selection, and mindset went a long way getting me more into the upright-esque realm.

One of my favorite upright simulators is the old 18" scale Guild Ashbory (now available from DeArmond/FMIC). I've used an Ashbory since the mid 90s.

I've just recently purchased a Gold Tone MicroBass which uses "rubber" strings like the Ashbory but it's a 23" scale small acoustic guitar type design. It also appears to be a promising upright simulator. There's also the Kala U-bass which is a 20" scale ukulele style and also uses "rubber" strings. Kala also makes a solidbody version using the same scale.
  3. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

My Fender Road Worn with Labella Deep talkin' flats and a piece of foam stuffed under the stings at the bridge gives a pretty reasonable upright sound.

I just tried it next to my upright and it is close in an ensamble.
  4. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

Single coil P bass w/ flats, tone rolled down around half and plucked between the 12th and 15th frets.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Kala U Bass or a Rob Allen bass.
  7. stickynotes

stickynotes

Thank you guys for the great ideas that I will be following up on. Now I've got an excuse to go to the next guitar show.....grin. Upon reading some of the other threads I went to youtube and listened to a couple demos of the Gretsch Junior Jet with one pickup. Seems to have possibilities for upright simulation. I'd like to hear one with some foam muting.
  8. fish slapper

fish slapper

Rob Allen Mouse . Right hand close to the 12th fret will also help.
  9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Fretless P bass with flats and bare rosewood board with pretty tall action. Tone rolled way down, plucked right at the end of the neck. If you need more thump, shove a piece of foam under the strings right at the bridge.
  10. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

I chanced upon 'NS design omni 5' in YouTube .
    Fretless sound with a tad of upright thump tone IMO
  11. mtb777

mtb777 Supporting Member

My Tacoma ThunderChief Fretless 5 does it pretty good. Was even closer when I had Tomastik Acousticores on it.
  12. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Same as others have said. Flats, fretless, passive with tone rolled off, and plucked at the neck will give you a nice warm thump.
  13. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I didn't need another bass but after I played this one I couldn't resist it's thumpy upright sound. It's incredibly close! The Godin A5 I own is an older model, the Ultra available now comes with a soapbar pup as well as the piezo and has a connector enabling the player to hook up to a synth.

Attached Files: