Upright with mic hole cut in it?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Akito, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Akito

Akito

Hey guys, looking for general opinions here on a bass for sale that has been "modified." Its a 2004 christopher hybrid with a 3 or 4 inch hole cut in the upper shoulder on the left hand side if you are facing the bass. The current owner runs a small music shop and studio, and he cut the hole and uses a foam insert to hold a mic for studio recording.
    The bass has a solid top and play sides and back with light flame.
    He wants 1500 for the bass and stand.
    My question is, would guys consider a bass with a mic port / sound hole, and what could be the structural concerns?

2. Michael Case

Michael Case

I wouldn't buy it, first because that hole is a disaster waiting to happen, second the hole most likely reduces the acoustic tone of the instrument, third you don't insert a microphone into the body of the bass to record, a mic is usually placed in front of bass to record it. If the seller made an uninformed move like that, who knows what other bone headed "improvements" were made. You could get a used or new Christopher for about the same money maybe a little more. Go to a BASS SHOP, a place with qualified repair people who know the instrument and can stand behind their products.

3. Akito

Akito

Thanks for the response. It's a disaster because of possible delamination or other factors? I had to wonder what he was thinking. It's a nice playing and sounding bass , and I am tempted because there are so few options around here. The bass seems pristine except for the silly mod.

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Run away... quickly!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Ask to hear the bass in recordings.

If it sounds great and works well, why is he selling it?

7. Michael Case

Michael Case

Possible delamination, structural weakness, who knows what else. Also the fact that there may be other "improvements" made that can further cause problems. Look at Upton's website, they have a good selection of basses in all price ranges.

8. Michael Case

Michael Case

9. longfinger

longfinger

Why such a harsh opinion about sound ports? Modern classical guitar builders do it, and it offer a great improvement on sound monitoring for the player, than do older traditional designs without it. A few top bass luthiers have made also made basses with sound ports such Arnold Schnitzer's Ergonomic Contrabass v4 and v3. Like the removable neck upright bass, this could be a logical and proper progression of the instrument's evolution. Done properly, it should a great thing. The reason to do it, is so sound escapes and gets to your ear, the player, so you can hear yourself more without adding electric amplification. On the classical guitars I've heard with the similar sound port, the difference in sound behind the guitar on the sound port side versus the other non-sound port side was very noticeable in positive favour of the sound port side.

Putting a mic there makes little sense. I doubt that sounds good.

Put on your coat and shoes, and go play the bass in person, compare it with regular Christopher Hybrids and other basses. Check out that instrument, and evaluate it. Go from there.

10. Michael Case

Michael Case

The key is that builders MAKE the instruments with the sound port. I would assume it's a little different than taking a Christopher bass and just drilling a hole in it. We've all seen some the awful uninformed DIY work done on some basses, this sounds like trouble.

11. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Wow. Offer him $200 and make him promise as a part of the deal to never ever do that to another bass. Get it in writing.

12. Akito

Akito

Ha! Thanks guys for all of the responses. I have been looking for another upright for at least two years now. I work seven days a week and haven't been able to swing the time off for a trip to seattle. It's something I have wanted to do for a long time.

13. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

longfinger, I'm guessing that Arnold Schnitzer is to this dumbass what the Concorde was to an arthritic donkey.

+1 to run away and find another bass.

14. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    This is a great idea! ;)

15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

What?

Why?

One does NOT record a double bass with a mic inside. Unless you are a bozo.

Geeze.

Shove one of these in the hole...

[​IMG]

Could be onto something -- TOFTT.

16. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

You're in Spokane.. get in a car and drive to The Bass Church in Seattle. It'll be worth it!

17. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

How does it play? I've seen sound ports that work without any problems.

Attached Files:

18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

There are already "holes" in a Double Bass:

[​IMG]

Drilling another into the shoulder is ridiculous.