"Upskirting" legal in Mass.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by will33, Mar 6, 2014.

1. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
  2. hover

hover

We are sucha nanny-state about every other thing, but not this? Just because it's not a law doesn't make it okay. Jeez. It's public lewdness, plain and simple. Pervs always be lookin for loop holes (and peep holes)

But, given that it's MA, it doesn't surprise me one bit...(which is why my 11 year old cannot legally ride his 4x4, because the engine displacement is deemed too high [110cc vs. defined 90cc limit for his age], even with full protective gear and riding with ME...) That rule / law /whatev went into effect 4 months after I got him the bike.
  3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Here is a link to the court's decision:

[edit: the link I posted earlier timed out. To find the opinion, go here http://www.massreports.com/CourtDecisions/Default.aspx and look for the Robertson opinion. If it's no longer there, go here http://www.massreports.com/OpinionArchive/Default.aspx and search for the "Robertson" opinion posted March 5, 2014.]

I've only had a chance to skim the decision, but my impression is that the court believed that the defendant's conduct was wrong, but was constrained by the language of a poorly-drawn statute that, on its face, didn't apply to the defendant's conduct. The court wrote, "At the core of the Commonwealth's argument to the contrary is the proposition that a woman, and in particular a woman riding on a public trolley, has a reasonable expectation of privacy in not having a stranger secretly take photographs up her skirt. The proposition is eminently reasonable, but § 105 (b) in its current form does not address it." The court also noted that, "Other States, recognizing that women have such an expectation of privacy, have enacted provisions specifically criminalizing the type of upskirting the defendant is alleged to have attempted."
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

stupid is, as stupid does
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Justice Margot Botsford must not have had a lot of attention from her sexual interests when she was younger...
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Looks like I better make a quick trip to MA before they start re-writing laws. Thanks for the heads up Will!
  8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Um...I'm jumping on the Red Line it's almost rush hour! :)
  9. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Well, in fairness to Justice Botsford, this case was a criminal prosecution under a specific statute. The court's role is not to make its own independent decision about whether it believes the defendant's conduct was right or wrong, but to determine whether the defendant's conduct violated the statute under which he was charged. The court is not saying that the conduct is right, but merely that it is not a violation of that particular statute. In other words, the court is basically saying to the legislature, "you need to change this statute to cover this situation, as other states have done."
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Doin' what I can from down here. :)
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If he happened to run across one that wasn't wearing any underwear, would it fall under some other statute? According to how things are now, there is no law specifically banning his upskirting. Would one really know she was pantiless before the photo was taken?

These lawmakers really need to have a big ol' discussion about this.
  12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

If they have the "right" to.flaunt it I have the "right" to.look. just for the record they also have the right to cover it up!
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I don't know why people waste their time with these pictures when every smartphone there is has a videocamera on it.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    This thing should've been easy setup for some decent jokes.

Y'all suck....

:) .
  15. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Fixed.
  16. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I tried.
  17. hover

hover

(positions camera)

"(vertical) smile!!!"

"say (grilled) cheese!"
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

headline: headlines on tb are more sensationalized than network news.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Tit'll be ok, we'll finger it out.
  20. Chebass88

Chebass88 Supporting Member

I think I'd have to see a bunch of photos to make an informed opinion.
  21. JFOC

JFOC