Upton Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kamakiriad7, Feb 4, 2009.

1. kamakiriad7

kamakiriad7

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure we need an Upton Club/owner's thread. I don't think I need to get into why these instruments are so great.

What year/opus is yours? post pics or stories here!

Ok. Here is the official member list (post a picture of your Upton bass(es) to get a member number. PM me if I missed you or if you don't want a number):
    01 - kamakiriad7
    02 - drurb
    03 - Ghost Note
    04 - jmpfretless
    05 - ZENBASSGUY
    06 - dbmike
    07 - brijonrob
    08 - Bass
    09 - BPeder
    10 - lofreek
    11 - olivieraleman
    12 - ogre

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I've been a member of "the club" since 2003. Below is my current and third bass from Upton. It's an Upton Concert, Opus 2. The story is here. It sounds even better now. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

The pleasing green landscape soothes me. (I grew up in Connecticut)

O yah nice bass too ;)

4. kamakiriad7

kamakiriad7

Beautiful instrument!! By the way, Drurb, I've got to thankk you for directing me towards Upton last year. It turns out that I was already flying to the U.S. to see Return to Forever in Boston, so I just popped over to the Upton headquarters to meet Gary and the gang. What a facility.

I ended up ordering a Hybrid Standard, Opus 183, and needless to say it's the envy of all of the lower-string players at the classical music school I attend. :smug: I'll post pictures of it here soon.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ghost_Note

Ghost_Note

I'm waiting for mine (it's a Standard Gamba) that should be ready within the next week or two. This is my first DB and I'm feeling like a very happy and excpectant father right now :).

7. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

That is a beaut! Let's see some others.

8. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

I'm not in, nor will I ever be. You can possibly find me over in the American Standard/King Moretone bass club. :smug:

Now, somebody just needs to show me where it's located.

9. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I am not one for joining clubs or attaching myself to any particular brand of anything, but I do love my Upton Hybrid.

Here she is

[​IMG]

10. drurb

Give it time. :)

11. Tejano Bass

Tejano Bass

Big Mike:

Check your PM for location . . .

12. drurb

Is the location a secret? Hey, start your own club thread! :D

13. jmpfretless

jmpfretless

Two years ago I meet someone here in Daytona who introduced me to Upton Basses.....her Upright bass had such a high level of craftmenship that I could hardly believe when she sait that it was the less espensive upright bass Upton made ....wow....I needed to investigate....after countless hours on the phone with Gary(some patience this guy has)...an order was put in for my new Professor Ultra Deluxe....and let me add...a trip to Stonington sealed the deal. Never have I been more happy with anything I ever bought....To meet all of them was a treat this guy here is not about to forget....Gary was more than happy to find a nice place for me to spend the night in nearby Mistic and my
    god the rest is history as they say...what a bunch..what an instrument....what a company....Gary...Aubrey....Eric.....And the ever happy Kate......Thanks from the bottom of my heart..

14. ZENBASSGUY

ZENBASSGUY

so i'm a music major in an underfunded music program at a state school ( yah i know big surprise) anyway the school has 2 basses one sounds like a cardboard box rapped in a down comforter and the other is about to break in half due to a huge crack in the neck.
    so i bit the bullet and bought an upton standard. and i haven't touched my electrics in about 3 months. i don't even like the sound of electric bass anymore. the only thing that sucks is that i can't play at the level that i could on electric but i know time and practice will fix that.

15. dbmike

dbmike

I bought a laminated Hawkes (#8) in 2006 after trying several different laminates and hybrids. For my budget and usage goals, it was a perfect fit: great sound, comfortable neck, and nice looks. The fact that Gary and his colleagues were such a pleasure to deal with made it a very easy purchase. Two plus years later I am addicted to upright and am slowly saving for a carved version -- once my last two kids are out of college!

16. brijonrob

brijonrob

Just picked up my new Upton Standard on Friday, She's a beauty!!

Attached Files:

17. jmpfretless

jmpfretless

I will post some pictures of my baby as well soon......
    Just like Drurb except....flatback.....loud baby and what a tone...Good God this thing makes me happy....:)

18. Ghost_Note

Ghost_Note

Beautiful Hybrid and Standard lads.

lowEndRick--I imagine the acoustics in that corner resonate with woody warmth.

19. Bass

Bass

2006 Upton Hawkes Laminate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I don't play there often since its the entrance to our house. I chose it because there is a skylight there and the pics come out better. But it does sound full and warm there. Actually this bass sounds pretty full and warm just about anywhere :)

21. Ghost_Note

Ghost_Note

BTW: I didn't want Drurb's bass to go unrecognized. I had seen this beauty earlier in a PM. I showered it with compliments but since those took place in private, I now shall proclaim so in public.

Les, it's a beaut! :D

I've also heard wonderful things from the folks at Upton about you're playing ability.

Guess I better stop now before you blush.

Paul