Upton vs. New Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gcj, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gcj

gcj

Trying to decide between Upton bohemian hybrid or New Standard cleveland. Will be used for jazz (Pizzacato).Which do you think is the better bass? Any other recommendations in that general price range.
  2. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin Supporting Member

Better put on some protective gear. you might have just started a small war :)
    I've played a few Clevelands and a few Upton hybrids and carved basses. I'd say you need to figure out if you want a carved or plywood sound. There is no right or wrong decision here but it is a matter of your taste. To me, a carved top gives you a richer more solid tone. If you love the carved sound, the NS may sound a bit hollow. On the other hand if you like an old school jazz sound, dark and puffy, the NS may be better. Not sure which sound you like? Listen to Edgar Meyer and compare it to some old Jazz trio music. Now, the trio bassist may be playing carved but it will still give you an idea of the contrast between the more defined carved tone vs the puffier more mysterious plywood sound.
    Now I`ll let the TalkBassers unleash their corrections and condemnations.

Good luck either way.
    Dave
  3. marvin spangles

marvin spangles

Try both . I don't think any opinion here will be better than first hand experience.
  4. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Played both, own one of them. Two completely different animals. +1 to Dave Irwin's post.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I've played a UB Standard plywood and a Cleveland. Both were excellent.

Where are you located? A TB member in northern Alabama just posted his 2012 Cleveland for sale, and today Upton put a Deluxe Hybrid on ebay at an attractive price.
  6. gcj

gcj

I live in salt lake city and the humidity is fairly low. Would the hybrid bass be ok in low humidity?
  7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
  8. swervy jervy

swervy jervy Supporting Member

I live with an Upton hybrid in Laramie which is 3,000 feet higher in elevation than SLC. Research humidifiers on this forum and use one and you should be fine.
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1. I'd add that the "old school" jazz sound has been, is, and will be nicely produced with a carved top. In fact, most of the basses one hears on recordings producing that old school sound are carved basses. Indeed, a ply typically has a "puffier" front end and "thump" that tends to decay more quickly than a bass with a carved top. Dave and others are right on target that it really is a matter of preference and you have to play them. Independent of the maker and independent of the practicalities of caring for the instrument, my opinion is that a bass with a nice carved top is preferable in all cases save, perhaps, for the rare exception of certain genres in which the "thump" of a ply bass seems to sometimes fit better.

Again, whether the Upton you mentioned or the Cleveland are more suited to the sound that YOU are after is something you'll have to decide. It could even be that a third alternative fits the bill better for you.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dave, you know that you can get either a hybrid or a fully carved Cleveland or La Scala, right?
  11. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin Supporting Member

Yup, but I dont think thats what he was talking about.
  12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The prices of the two basses he mentioned are comparable if you assume he was referring to the Cleveland ply.
  13. Michael Case

Michael Case

I live in Salt Lake City too, moved here from NYC 4 years ago. I have a hybrid bass with a carved top, that moved here from NYC with me. It's been fine. As far as the choice of which bass for you. I can't top the advice given already.
  14. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    This price range offers all sorts of choices in newish and vintage basses. It will be interesting to see what the final choice will be. Enjoy the hunt!
  15. eerbrev

eerbrev

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    There is no better advice anywhere. Your going to spend several K$$$ on whatever you decide to go with. Take both ladies to dinner and see which one feels like talking to a soulmate and which one feels like discussing the weather and checking your watch. If both feel like the latter, look elsewhere.
  17. garbanzo

garbanzo

Also being in SLC, I'm interested in what you find locally, as I'm on the hunt.