1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

URGENT: zoom b9.1ut or zoom b3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lidel, Dec 25, 2012.

1. lidel

lidel

hello i'm dubious betweem the zoom b9.1ut and zoom b3. i could buy both about at the same price and both effects are new ( i'd pay 30-40 bucks less for the b9.1ut than the b3) . which would you buy? i play in bands that make punk, funky, pop, rock, hardcore. never had effects before. my bass amplifier head is a tc electronics bh500. thank you very much
  2. Swift713

Swift713

I haven't read much about the B9 but I've heard recordings (Stick Men) that sound good. The B3 is quite popular here and I like it pretty well. The B9 looks to be more complicated which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on you.
  3. lidel

lidel

why do you consider it more complicated? i have not the possibility to try these 2 models and i've read lots of threads. my needs are distortion, octaver, chorus, some effects for the funky songs, (i think) delay.
  4. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I've had both (as well as a B2 and B2.1u).

B9.1ut vs. B3, from my experiences.

Effects variety - B3
    Effects control - Tie. There are more controls on a B3, but the B9 has 2 built-in pedals. B3 has more leve and mix control.
    Effects flexibility - B3
    Ease of use with computer - B3 (B9 is great as well, but requires MIDI and a power supply while the B3 only needs USB)
    Portability - B3
    Live switching between patches - B9
    Using the looper - B9
    Tone - Tie. No big advantages (the tube doesn't really do a great deal IMHO...)
    Working in effects loop - B9. The B3 does not have an iput attenuator so it clips...

Both are just fine. I sold the B9 and still have the B3 due to size and practice-at-home feasibility (it fits on the desk). I'd be happy with either.
  5. lidel

lidel

thank you grateful! what about effects quality? b3 are better? i'm looking for a multieffects to use live, i think i'll use 2-3 different effects for several songs or maybe more ( fx).
  6. Grateful

The B3 seems to have more parameters for controlling the effects and, most importantly for me, the mix and level of the effect.

Conventional wisdom (and input from effects purists) will dictate that Multi effect pedals do not sound as good as individual, dedicated effects. But I'm not an effects purist not do I need lots of effects.

I can only comment on some of the effects as I only use a few effects on one patch live: A compressor, an 8-way Phaser and a Reverb. The compressor is always on, the Phaser/Reverb gets used on part of one song and the Reverb gets used on part of another. I have no concerns with those.
  7. lidel

lidel

others opinions?
  8. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

For support going forward, B3...

Advantage of B9 is built in expression pedal (Z pedal).

Also the B9 has midi capability and a mono synth ...

The looper on the B3 allows for up to 40 seconds of looping (20 if you enable overdub undo function, which one normally would, unless they're just doing a basic loop with 0-1 overdubs.)
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

B3 all the way, with an expression pedal.
    More effects, easier to program, much better sound quality.
  10. lidel

lidel

and a for a live use? with the b3 is possible changing several different effects quickly or not? for example: i need 3 patches, can i create'em and save in the 3 boxes with the effects i want or not ( stomp 1 patch a, stomp 2 patch b, stomp 3 patch 3)? if it's possible, i'll go with the b3 instead the b9.
  11. Jazz Ad

No it doesn't work exactly this way. You navigate up and down patches with buttons 2 and 3. Each bank has 10 patches through which you can scroll.
    If you press button 1 you can change bank.
    It is good because you can access all patches with your feet but bad because you can't jump from one patch to another without browsing those in between.
    With 10 banks of 10 patches it is easy to make successions of patches that work well but it implies some redundancy.
  12. lidel

lidel

while the b9 would allow to me to jump from the patches.. correct?
  13. Jazz Ad

14. lidel

lidel

that's the point! the b3 is recent, the b9 older. i'd buy the b3 but the fact i can't jump from one patch to another without browsing those in between or i'm forced to use 10 banks, makes me not sure that it can be the pedalboard i'm looking for. besides actually i'll not use the effect in a massive way but in the next months i don't know how it will be. having in the band songs from muse is quite difficult for me to take a decision.
  15. Grateful

With the B9, you can set 2 of the buttons to jump from 1 patch to the next, or 1 bank (group of 4 patches) to the next. Each patch can contain multiple effects. You can jump from one patch to another patch in any bank with some foot clicks (1 or more to switch to the desired bank, 1 to select 1 of 4 patches in the bank, then one to give you control over the effects in the patch, then another click to get you back in bank select mode).

By default on the B3, you have to click and hold a button, then navigate up or down to the next patch or bank, then click the button again to get access to the individual effects in the patch. There is no quick jumping between banks.

That being said, effects organization is superior on the B3 (IMHO) and you can re-organize and rename the patches to match the patches needed in a set list so that the change is somewhat linear.
  16. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

All I've done is set my B3 up with the patches in the order I want them.

One song might require three different patches, so I've got those three stored right next to one another. No real scrolling required.

The next song might need one of those patches, with two others.
    I copy that patch to a different location and store the other two next to it.

With so much patch storage capability and the added bonus of Edit & Share to store un-used patches on my PC and call them up as required I never run into trouble with multiple patches.

Works for me.

But saying all that, maybe the B9 would suit you better.
    My point is that there's often ways and means around almost any problem if you think them through.... and that applies to life too!
  17. lidel

lidel

ok! i'll go with the b3, thanks guys! you've helped me so much!!!
  18. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

This may or may not solve your problem, but a common method of browsing presets in the more limited units is to set them up so all of a songs patches are available in succession. So if you have a song where the progression takes you from fuzz to clean to synth to clean to fuzz and wrap it up with a noise delay patch, you could set your patch order: noise delay >fuzz >clean >synth and operate an entire song running up and down those four.

There will be times when you have to copy and paste with redundant patches, but unless you're REALLY eclectic, you should have plenty of patches available.

EDIT::: Post too slow. Can't keep up.
  19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I got the b9 based on the fact that I can set up banks by song, with four patches per bank I can pop on at any time. You can also configure it so the buttons are individual effects as if you had a bunch of stomp boxes in front of you. You can also set them up sequentially this way. Many options. May seem a little overwhelming, but once you read the manual it isn't really complicated at all. The b3 only being able to do sequential, and not engage/ disengage individual fx on the fly was not going to work for me. The integrated x/y axis expression pedal sealed the deal. I like being able to pop on the auto wah when I'm feeling saucy.
  20. Grateful

The B3 totally has the ability to turn individual effects on and off on the fly. I do it all the time mid-song. Plus, you can change the order/priority of effects or even have multiples of the same effect on the B3.