US Air Force Band Electric/String Bass Vacancy

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 14, 2010.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News & Features Posting Account Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    The United States Air Force Heartland of America Band announces a current vacancy for electric/string bass. Salary is between $33 - $36k anually, and includes full medical, dental benefits, 30 days paid vaction/year, college loan repayment up to $10k, and GI Bill for college up to $80k.

Enlistment age is 17-27 years old.

For more information, visit www.heartlandofamericaband.af.mil or call 402-294-0501

2. Air Force Bands

Air Force Bands

3. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Is this a special duty or does it have an AFSC?

4. Vociferous

Vociferous

I don't think this post belongs here. As socially-aware people, I think we have to take a stand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Air Force Bands

Air Force Bands

Hi Joe,
    All Air Force Bandsmen have an AFSC. The special duty you may be refering to might be the premier bands in D.C. or at the Air Force Academy. Give me a call if you need more information; 402-294-0501.

7. Air Force Bands

Air Force Bands

Vociferous,
    The Department of Defense is the single largest employer of musicians. Give us a call if you want a full time gig performing with world class musicians.

8. Billy Low

Billy Low

Disclosures:
    Sandberg Guitars
    Is this a good spot for this post? REALLY??!?!

9. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Guys I don't see the point in getting up in arms about this, anybody who enlists or gets a commision in the military did it voluntarily. Besides this is no worse than the recruiters you see in highschools all the time.

10. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

I have a question about USAF bands that I hope one of the vets can answer.

I have been playing for over a decade and want to join a USAF band, but only have 6 years until I am no longer eligible to enlist. I attended music school in college, but did not finish. I want to go back and finish, but would it make more sense to just do private lessons with a high level player that are specifically geared towards fulfilling USAF audition/ability/performance requirements, if being in a USAF band is what I really want most? Does the USAF care about your education credentials at all? Is it used as a tie breaker if it is between me and a Berklee grad?

I need something to supplement what I'm doing now because my knowledge of jazz bass playing and sight reading is simply not on a professional level and I don't want to waste anyone's time. I'm just trying to put together a plan.

Of course I could go back to college AND do private lessons, but I have a family and want to use my time in the most efficient way possible.

I'm beginning to think that some of the extra college coursework that doesn't have much to do with playing ability won't really put me in a better position to pass an audition........and if I still have a strong desire to continue my education it's still there. Not to mention it would be paid for after fulfilling my military requirements.

11. newbold

newbold

'As socially aware people, we have to take a stand'? Against what?
    I'd rather stand for something than against it.