1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

US Fender Jazz bass vs. Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfart, Oct 8, 2011.

?

US Fender Jazz bass vs. Rickenbacker 4003

1. Jazz

328 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. Ric

160 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. neither

48 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

If you had to choose between the two, which way would you go, and why?
  2. BTBplayer

BTBplayer

although I do like the Rick neck , everything else the jazz kills , for my situations, yours may be different . A YES cover band , maybe ? :)
  3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Depends. I have a gorgeous Ric but admit a Fender is more ergonomically comfortable. The tones...thats subjective as IMO they both can cover similar ground.
  4. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Love the way Rics look, but the Jazz feels like second skin. Comfortable neck & body, and ergonomically sound. Lot's of aftermarket parts available for upgrades one may want to make.

What I don't like about the Ric is the binding, and the location of the pickups...that damned pickup cover is so close to the bridge.

BUT...it's a gorgeous bass...better looking than a Jazz imo.

I've had both, but now I own 2 Jazz basses and no Rics.
  5. randysmojo

randysmojo Supporting Member

I picked the jazz, but would love a Ric as a second bass.
  6. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more...I've owned 4 Rics in my day.
  7. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Had a Rick 4003 once, but sold it for a hefty profit. Quickly bought a used MIA Precision soon after which I love. I find that Fenders are way more comfortable, robust, and they won't attract the attention of folks with sticky, thieving hands.
  8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

I'm sure I'm squarely in the minority, but I find a Ric (mine, at least) to be the most comfortable bass I've ever played. The neck is a perfect size for me (somewhere b/w a just-too-thin modern-C/D, and a too thick baseball bat Precision), I don't use the p'up cover for thumb support (anchor with my wrist on the top of the bass), and find the contour to be more comfortable for my style of playing (gets me down closer to the strings).

I've always found the tones very similar, but I feel like the Ric has a more pleasing growl/punch thing going on.
  9. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Same here. I keep getting sucked in. But the Ric has got to be (for me anyway) the most uncomfortable bass I've ever picked up. (that bridge is a real piece of work too) Love the looks though, which is why I keep buying them. :D I'd take a jazz bass anyday over a Ric for functionality, but when it comes to dead sexiness, then the Ric wins hands down.
  10. aidanmay

aidanmay

Ric, because I'm in a similar situation :p

I like jazzes a lot but rics are probably a bit more versatile, though it depends on what style you mainly play (I play lots of prog/psychedelic as well as jazz)
  11. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Damn...rough decision....I own, love and play both...I chose the Jazz because my 75RI is the finest bass I have ever played. In the case of this poll, to be fair, I wish you had offered "carrots" as a choice......I feel so dirty for leaving my Rics out now.....:bawl:

Cheers!!
  12. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

I'd recommend checking out a Rick 4004, but did choose the 4003 over the Jazz in your poll. I happen to prefer Rickenbackers over Fenders and find they're a lot more versatile than many believe and just all around work better for me.
  13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Rics have a tighter spacing which I love, but the jazz is cheaper, better looking IMO, and is on more hit records than the Ric.

I chose the Jazz for those reasons. Especially the facts that Rics are expensive.
    If I had to choose between either for free it would be the Ric. Then if I hated it, I could sell it for 2 Jazzes. :)
  14. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

I have both and like both.
  15. FBS1996

FBS1996

Were's the P bass option? :bag:
  16. s4001

s4001

I've got both. You'll probably wind up with both, as well.
  17. thebass905

thebass905

I've got both and love them for different reasons. The ric is more comfortable to play but the jazz has an amazing sound. In a perfect world we could all vote for both
  18. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

Jazz baby , Jazz baby
  19. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Depends what band. Carrots.
  20. msb

msb

Ric . No question .