US Masters club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Longshot, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Longshot

Longshot

Not sure if this is going to be big group or not but there is only one way to find out right?

I currently own a Masters series EP-5 and is quite the best bass I've owned in a long while. Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

I have known the owners of US Masters since I was in 4th grade and love their instruments. Great bunch of guys too.

Would love to hear from any other US Masters owners out there. Post some pics too!

:)
  2. MKoby

MKoby Supporting Member

Great that you are getting back to it.
    Lots of fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My B2, interesting sounds and playability.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My EP54 5-String Bass. Multi-voice passive. Hollywars and I enjoy it a lot.
  3. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Aahhhh, made right here in Wisconsin :bassist:
  4. Longshot

Longshot

Awesome Bromberg model. I am finding the access to the higher frets on the EP just amazing.

I am going to be starting a new video project for US Masters next month. So be looking for some new promo videos soon from them as I am going to shoot them making my new bass.

Plus, we are going to do a short video on proper ways to set up an instrument.

Should be awesome.
  5. Longshot

Longshot

Just a quick update on my US Masters video project.

I should be meeting with them this coming week to start the production schedule. 3D graphics are wrapping up nicely. Here is a breakdown of what I think will be in production:

1). A video of them making my new fretless bass. Yeah!
    2). A brief history of the company
    3). A really cool guide on how to set up your instrument. He has this really cool ruler trick that I can't wait to get on film (or SD card in this case)

The bass I finally decided on is a 4 string Magnus with the following specs:

Body:
    Bloodwood top
    Chambered mahogany body
    Black border between top and body
    Kent Armstrong soapbar pickups
    Vol, Balance, 3-Band Active EQ with bypass

Neck:
    Ebony lined fretless board
    Maple core neck (mahogany outside for looks)
    Matching bloodwood headstock

Hardware:
    Black hardware
    Matching bloodwood kobs
    Matching bloodwood ramp in between pickups.

I will post pics of my progress here in the weeks that continue
    This should take us about a month or two to get everything finished. We will also be posting all vids to you tube and I'll have links.

Till next time.

:)
  6. vstringbassist

vstringbassist Supporting Member

I have my first coming - a Magnus Standard 5 string. It was a store demo @ TheBassPlace. The price was right. Here are some pics of the actual bass from auction:

Attached Files:

7. Longshot

Longshot

Wow that's a nice one. Great finish too. I can't wait to get started on my Magnus fretless project.

Hopefully we start planning this week.
  8. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

this company is from my hometown in middleton wi!
  9. Longshot

Longshot

Thatsmy hometown too? Did you go to MHS?
  10. vstringbassist

I still can't believe the price I paid especially for a virtually new bass of this quality - :hyper:.
  11. vstringbassist

I really like the new Magnus - I posted a vid today of me playing the bass. I have to upgrade my cam!

Great workmanship on this instrument.
  12. Versatek6

Versatek6 Supporting Member

I have an EP51, the older P/J model.

My photos need to be retaken. :crying:

Imagine a cherry sunburst with a maple neck & fingerboard and gold hardware, strung with DR Black Beauties.

Real pix in the near future...
  13. Longshot

Longshot

Oooooooo reallynneed to see that. Can't wait for the pics :)
  14. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Just got a used one with a Mahogany body, one P type pickup, and 3 band Eq by EMG. Don't think they make this model now.
    It felt good and looked great..........had a ding or two, but otherwise good shape. Strings were dead and neck and a little up-bowed so I'm having it set-up and restrung............What do some of the other TBer's think about the B string on their US Masters? Haven't got that far yet with mine? If it is tight and focused, I think I will have a GREAT instrument.
  15. Longshot

Longshot

I find that only EPi5 the B string is quite tight and focused. Plus using it on the middle of the neck I find the tone to be nice and round and not flat. Which is a pet peeve of mine on some fivers.
  16. Longshot

Longshot

Looks like US Masters is having a big blowout sale.

Great stuff. Now it's going to be very hard to resist picking another one up. :hyper:

http://usmasters.com/supersale.htm

Hope you all find this useful.

:bassist:
  17. Versatek6

Seven months later, we're back!

I picked up what I think is an EP-4. It is a early production run (in transparent red), passive, p-style only; the pickup has exposed pole pieces. I believe the body is maple, beautiful figured maple neck with pao ferro fretboard.

The body finish is scratched/scuffed, but really no significant dings or dents. A couple little pings on the back of the neck, too. Some dope removed the locking pins from the Sperzel tuners. I should have replacement pins any day now, after talking to Lori at Sperzel.

I am really surprised at how svelte the neck is. My other 4-string is a Spectorcore, and that neck is quite round. Spending most of my time on an active-eq 5-er, this is very different.

The strings it came with were pretty new, and I'm guessing DR of some kind - no wrap. However, I had a set of DR Hellborg UFO that I tried and took off the Spector when I went to flats. They give a sound different from any of my others; I'll see if it grows on me.

I still need pics, too.
  18. vinxbass

vinxbass

Picked this up in a trade. Don't know what the model is. If someone could tell me that would be great.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

i did. but i transferred to edgewood my junior year. class of 98
  20. Versatek6

Masters Design EPiB Series

This is one of their import line. EP body, i for import, B for bolt-on neck. I have not ever played (or seen) one, but I understand they are nicely made. This is the Custom model with a swamp ash body rather than mahogany. They are not showing the five-string as available right now.

Here is their description: "In the past we've worked on a number of overseas made basses, theres definately no shortage of inexpensive basses. Most don't play very well, use the least expensive hardware and components, and are generally frustrating to play. This is not what we wanted, we wanted a well designed bass with good hardware and components. A bass that a good player will enjoy. The bass will play well, stay in tune, be pleasing to play, and be a bass you can stick with over time. This is exactly what we developed. The cost is higher, but in our opinion - a better investment."

Pickup configuration and preamp are the same configuration as my older US model, but I don't know what kind of pickups or preamp are used.

Please let us know how it plays and sounds after you have some time on it!