1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

USA Eden 'the metro' combo 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 15, 2013.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Awesome forum here folks!

I am a newbie to bass (more of a guitar/vintage tube ampaholic) so bare with me.:bag:

I like this amp but wonder if its worth building a separate head cabinet for, since overall, the thing weighs a ton and is hard to move.

The casters were literally broken loose but I have managed to repair them.

So, I am wanting opinions from you folks as to the overall quality of this amp to keep long term & what kind of external cabinet would complement this amp?

A 1x15 or another 2x10?

I assume it is 8 ohms and will deliver maximum watts with 4 ohms.

Is there a "best cab/speaker" setup other than the stock 2x10?
  2. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Anyone care to comment?
  3. MOFuB

MOFuB

I have the 600w @2ohms version of this 2x10 combo, and it's been my go-to small club gig amp for 4yrs now. Great sounding tube pre, and more than enough volume in my R&B/Funk/Soul band. I use a separate 2x10 4ohm cab if I need more volume/presence, and that's only been a couple times in bigger clubs. It is a somewhat heavy bugger at "only 85lbs" which is what's stated in the manual, but I have no problems moving it around myself.

Making a separate amp case would lighten the whole package, but I don't think it'd be worth it cuz the amp portion is probably 10lbs, so the combo without the amp in it will still be around 75lbs. If you replace the speakers with neodymium magnet speakers, that'll probably knock another 10lbs off. I'll bet the majority of the weight is from the cabinet wood...wished there was a inexpensive way to make em out of carbon fiber or fiberglass...

That's my 2cents...
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

I built a separate head cabinet for my Metro head because I found myself wanting to use the head with other cabinets like my Eden 212XLT and didn't want to always bring along the combo. The total weight of head and birch ply case was about 25 pounds, still not a lightweight but much more portable. Plus it was a fun project.

For your other questions, you'll get a lot of responses if you ask at the Eden forum:

http://www.edenampsforum.com/index.php

Peace, Bob
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thank you folks!