1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

USA p bass at flea market in NJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrufino1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

If you are in NJ Today, a guy at the meadowlands flea market is selling a fender USA p bass for $275. I'm not in the market for a bass right now, but that's a good deal. Come buy it so I'm not tempted!

2. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Ah! Any chance you'd buy it and meet up with me another day? I can't make it down there today.. I'm in northern New Jersey, West Milford. Any issues with it?

3. Cirk

Cirk

Sounds too good to be true. Better take a real close look at it to make sure it's the real deal. Lotsa fakes out there.

4. mrufino1

Didn't look fake, played fine. Needs a setup and cleaning, but not bad.

And sorry, I left there already. I bet it will be there next week too. A few peavey micro bass amps around today as well, and 3 cassette four tracks... Always an interesting place.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

I'm on my way over to check it out now. The flea market is a pretty big place - any landmarks to look out for?

7. jlepre

jlepre

Well? What happened?

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

One of two things....it wasn't as advertised or.... He got a killer deal and is playing it right now! I hope it's the second scenario.

9. sevdog

sevdog Supporting Member

Or if the flea markets in NJ are anything like the ones in TX, he got there and realized how many blow dart guns, throwing knives, ninja stars, and funnel cakes $275 would buy and he's having the time of his life!

10. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Based on flea markets I've been to, that seems more likely. :)

11. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Most of the vendors selling the old/unusual/used stuff had packed up and left by the time I got there, and the bass was nowhere to be found. If I had needed a 24 pack of Irish Spring soap or cubic zirconia jewelry it would have been ripe for the picking.

Not sure if the bass sold or I just missed the seller, will give it a go next weekend on the off chance it was the latter, but thinking I just missed out. There was no shortage of the other stuff, but I managed to resist temptation. :)

Flea markets of that size are always a party though - anybody ever been to the green dragon market in Lancaster County, PA.

12. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
  13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

out here it's mostly dog fighting videos and ground effects for your late model auto

14. marko138

marko138

Never been to the green dragon market, or even heard of it, but I am close enough that maybe I should look into it.

15. mrufino1

I'm here today, 6/7/14, it's here again, he said it's mid 90's, definitely USA, wants $275. I'm not looking for a long scale bass, but one of my fellow nj bassists should grab this. I took a pic- he's in the middle, near j7.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402157454.791885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402157489.031147.jpg

To clarify again I have no affiliation with the guy and hopefully this thread isnt breaking the rules, just want to help a fellow bassist out

www.shutterwax.com
    www.totalsoul.com
    www.oasisnj. com

NJ Bassist club #2
    Short Scale Bass Club #465

Maxdusty likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

No one bought the bass from Oct 2013 until now? A MIA Fender bass for $275? Thought someone would have picked it up by now . (and that Telecaster next to it if it's also going for a song). What surprises me too is that the seller can just take it to a GC, a pawn shop, resale store and still get more than $275 for it. He can post it on CL and get an even better profit. That makes me suspicious, and as someone mentioned, there are a number of fakes out there too to be careful of. Also, there are stolen basses. Wow, still would be worth checking out except I'm in Michigan. :)

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    FAKE! Most certainly a Squire Affinity. Tuners are wrong, serial number font is wrong, one ply white pg the thing screams Squire. And that's why it's still there.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. mrufino1

Don't know, could be fake. I'm not I. The market as I said, so I didn't inspect too long. Anyway, if someone is in the area it may be worth checking out, it's not me selling and I am not in a position to buy it to sell it either.

www.shutterwax.com
    www.totalsoul.com
    www.oasisnj. com

NJ Bassist club #2

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Awesome find and wish I was in NJ to check it out. As mentioned, could be fake and suspicious at why it's selling so low but definitely worth looking at. Props to you for posting this and thinking of helping out your fellow TB'ers!

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

The truss rod is also at the top of the neck. My 97 had it at the heel.

21. mrufino1

I looked again, sticker is sparkle silver,does that mean anything? I posted the serial too, just so someone could check. If it's fake, the shame on him!

www.shutterwax.com
    www.totalsoul.com
    www.oasisnj. com

NJ Bassist club #2