USB sound adapter - anyone use one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sm49341, Mar 9, 2014.

1. sm49341

sm49341

My laptop recently fell off a table while an audio cable was plugged in to the headpone jack. Of course it hit right on the cable, and busted out the jack. And the onboard speakers bypass thru the jack, so basically I have no sound. I manage the bands songlist (for our cover song learning/practicing), so I really need this.
    The computer has Windows 7, still works great, except for the sound. While looking into what to do I have discovered that there are USB audio adapters. Looks like this is the solution I need. Has anyone ever used one these? How do they work for you?

Thanks for any input!

2. pklima

pklima

Yeah. A good interface will get you less latency which is great for live performance, some also have lots of inputs, built-in preamps etc. But it sounds like you just need basically the simplest interface possible, maybe no inputs and just a couple of outputs? You could look at the ones marketed to DJs, not ones aimed at musicians which will have more inputs.

I use a Nanoface myself, it's small and a simple design but has lots of inputs and outputs, mic preamps, phantom power, high-impedance input etc. I haven't really tried to see how low I can get the latency without problems, though I guess I should sometime. Low noise for recording, which is very nice. The only thing that doesn't work too well is the optical out - it gets very noisy and needs to be reset when something more complicated happens, so you can't really add effects and change synth presets live on the fly. The analog outputs work fine, but I happen to have some speakers with an optical input, so... Also it only has one knob/switch and no software control, so things like turning on phantom power are far from intuitive.

So, you don't need much, but if you decide you might as well take the opportunity to get something nice that will do a lot more other things you can use, there's a lot of choice out there.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
  4. sm49341

sm49341

Cool guys, thanks for thei nput. I'm going to check some out and order one. Nothing fancy, I just need the headphones out to I can listen to music, or plug in to spreakers or my amps aux input to play along with it. The volume buttons on the second one shown here seem like a good idea, quick and easy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

USB adapters work. In my classroom tech unit we get both audio and video into computers using them, and we use the output for speaker/mic combination units that work beautifully.

Should be a good solution, and not expensive.

7. coughingskunk

coughingskunk

I did this once. If you can still access the headphone port, take a q-tip and break one tip off of it leaving just the paper stick. Add a dab or two of super glue and press it into the headphone port directly up against the broken off portion of the plug. Continue to apply pressure on the q-tip against the broken plug inside the headphone port for a couple of minutes. Once the glue has dried just pull the

8. sm49341

sm49341

Got a USB adapter, works sweetly. Now I can spend money on music gear and not another laptop that in 4 years will be worthless. Caughingskung, I may try your idea, nothing to lose!
    Thanks all and Bass on!