Use bass multi-effect unit for vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by belzebass, Aug 14, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

Hello!

I wonder if someone has already done the following: use a bass multi-effet unit to add effects to vocals.

I think that our singer will benefit from some chorus and compression to add more body and fullness to his voice. Being on a limited budget, I was thinking to use my bass multi-effect unit (old trusty DigiTech BP200 :D ) to add the effects to the voice (or at least try out some effects and determine which are really necessairy).

Any tips, caveats, pros/contras? Is there a huge difference between signal from a bass and from a standard vocal microphone?
    Anyone tried it already?

Thank you!!! :help:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Not ideal, to say the least. A vocal processor will have a balanced Mic input/output, and be voiced for vocals. The bass unit is unbalanced 1/4" instrument in/outs, and voiced for bass guitar. Poor choice, though I'm sure with the correct adapters, it will make a sound.

3. belzebass

belzebass

Yes, I am aware that a dedicated unit would be better, but we are not Shure it will be useful, and if it is what effects to add, and second hand voice units are pretty much non-existant here.

Anyone tried to do it?

4. bassbrad

bassbrad

You will want to use some sort of mic preamp to get signal up to level or use it as a plug in effect on your mixer.
    I use my Digitech BP8 all the time for processing in an effects loop- the compressor, delays and reverb are quite useful. I am not a fan of modulation on vox but it does work well with other sources.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. belzebass

belzebass

What preamp do you use?

7. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have mine in the effects loop of a mixer but the ART TUBE MP is an awesome tool for all sorts of things. (Behringer did a knock off that costs more than the original)

8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Doesn't Dub-FX use a GT-10B?

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Meh. For 40-50 bucks, you can snag an older MidiVerb III and actually do a decent job.

Riis

10. Shardik

Shardik

It will work for fun. I did almost the same thing with a Behringer X V-Amp for guitar, but put it in the effects "loop" on a small mixer (also Behringer).

I even tried to plug a dynamic microphone directly into the thing, but IMHO it got noisy. You need a microphone preamp or something with a preamp in it (like a mixer).

On the other hand, TC Helicon has made some small and useful effects for vocals. Check them out.

This is cool:
    http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/mic-mechanic/