1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Use two combos? BG250

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mike o, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mike o

mike o

This maybe a silly question. I have a TCE BG250 with 1/15. Love the combo. I purchased it for jams originally but now will need to move a bit more air for live performance. I've read some threads where folks will stack two combos for this. Makes sense cost wise with the benefit of having a back up amp if on fails.

Here's the question. Can I stack two combo's as above, maybe another 1/15 or 2/10 and have a good sound with double the air/ amp supply.
    Or
    Go with a traditional one amp plus speakers set up requiring a possible back up amp?

Any suggestions?

2. sprag

sprag

Unless they do a matching ext 15 cab (assuming the combo can run an ext cab) get a second identical combo.

3. Joedog

Joedog

I did it for years with a couple of old Peavey combos. Worked great (except they were heavy suckers). Another benefit is that you can leave one at your rehearsal space, and one at home (no schlepping amps for rehearsal). Does the BG have a line in/line out? Not positive, but I don't think that combo can run a 2nd speaker cab?

4. edencab

edencab

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tgriley62

tgriley62

If you like the BG250 & want to use 2 of them get a A/B-Y box. This will let you run one or both amps at once. It is best if you use two identical combo's & not mix & match

7. Joedog

Joedog

8. mike o

mike o

Thanks folks.

By adding a second bg250 1x15, would this double the actual possible volume? I think this amp is rated 250w x 1/15. So, would this be equivalent to a 500 total watts x 2/15 rig running at 4ohm ?

9. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

No................

To double your sound, it takes 10X the power.

Doubling your wattage, and doubling your speaker area though should net you +6db.

10. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Yes it would act like 500 watt 2x15 rig.
    BUT, that is not twice as loud... Twice as loud is + 10DB. Double cone area + double power is an addition of 6 db. so, roughly speaking, it would be about 1.5 times as loud.
    3 combos would be roughly double the sound. 4 would be a bit more then double.

11. mike o

mike o

Wow! I came to right place for answers. Thank you!

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The only BG250 combo with an external speaker out is the 2X8.

13. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

As was pointed out in the last couple of responses, you're getting into the "math of loudness." IMO, best not to worry too much about that beyond the basic principle involved (i.e., that loudness doesn't scale linearly with sound power). I don't think you need to spend too much time on decibels, watts, and ohms to get that. The numbers themselves become less and less useful, and so does the concept of being "twice as loud."

You started out by saying that you like your BG250. Two BG250s will be twice as powerful as one. Two, running at the same volume, will be louder than one. Since it will be a "2x15 rig" with twice the power, it is by definition, the equivalent of a 2x15 rig with twice the power :p So, essentially the same thing as adding a powered extension cabinet or increasing the BG250's amp power into 215 cabinet, providing you with similar capability (which I think is what your question was getting at). Would it be "exactly the same" as some other, specific amp and 215 cabinet? Probably not...unless that other specific example is exactly the same as the BG250 at half of its power and with one 15 inch speaker instead of two.

Bottom line, it's a viable way of doing what you want to do that offers some attractive possibilities/options.

14. mike o

mike o

Thank you DR Pepper

15. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

As others have said, no extension cab on the 1x15.

Also as others said, personally would not mix a BG250 115 and a BG250 210.

In addition to the A/B/Y box method, I believe I read a discussion once where someone ran the DI out of one cab in the Aux input of the other. and did it that way.

Lastly, whatever drpepper says pretty much always correct. Just read his stuff and move on….:D

16. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Ha, what I say doesn't necessarily even make sense when I read it back...pretty much always correct? yikes :meh:

17. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Considering this myself to get one speaker up near ear level, not so much for volume. This eliminates losing some bottom by putting the single combo on an amp stand. Run a splitter or A/B/Y box. Also, You could run effects to one amp but leave the second "plain vanilla." Or change the EQ from amp to amp, or run separate TonePrints loaded to the amps. Or set one for maximum tube sound. Or run two, one on each side of the drums. Lots of possibilities, and still a manageable rig.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Considering how much adding an extra cab does, fair to say two stacked 15" combos will sound twice as GOOD as one. :bassist: