Used 5er, $600, passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Am looking for a backup bass to leave at practice in this price range. Would I be more likely to get a better bass by going passive? My logic is the electronics probably aren't great at this price point but the $ saved could be used for a nicer bass. In a perfect world I would get a P5, they were going for $800-$850 here in December (which I would pay) but are $900-$1000 now, which I choose not to.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Used Carvin's are always a great choice, in my opinion. Great basses with bad resale value. $600 bucks would go a long way.
  3. hoyabill

hoyabill Supporting Member

G&L L2500 sounds fine passive ..and can cop a sound pretty darn close to a P
    They seem to go used in the 450 - 500 dollar range
    Full disclosure: I will be probably selling mine next week
  4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

MIM fender jazz
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Raymeous

Raymeous

5 string for $600 or less?

There are lots of options here.

If you're looking at used you can find a lot of options here, but then again used instruments come with all the usual stuff associated with used equipment. 3234718 is correct a used Carvin is usually underpriced for what you get. I've seen $1,500 plus quilt topped beauties go for $400 at GC.

Squier Affinity 5 string Jazz is probably one of the cheaper options but I would go for the main Squier line active Jazz 5 simply because it's a better built instrument.

Ibanez of course offers quite a few options here as well.

Carvin also offers up a kit version of their B50 (5 string P bass style) in either passive or active formats. Either version is below $600 but can get more depending on options. These kits are the exact same parts as their factory production models. You just have to do the finish sanding, finishing, and assembly. http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/kits/bk50

You have plenty of options without needing to choose active or passive in order to cut costs. You should choose active or passive based on how the bass sounds anyway.

I don't know if this has been helpful or not but good luck in the hunt :hyper:
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Some good input here. To clarify, the band is country and the B string gets alot of use, so a GOOD b is a must as well as a P type tone. Also light weight since practice is 2-3 straight (never seen a G+L at 9 lbs or under). 30 songs down, 15 to go :)
  8. Buskman

Buskman

There are a few Fender P5's on the used Guitar Center site for around $899 (just sayin' :) ), but to get close for less $ I'd recommend the Schecter Diamond P5, Yamaha BB425X, or MTD CRB 5.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Yamaha BB425x and you don't even need to worry about getting it used in your budget.