1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Used acoustic 260 (head only) for $75, deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phatcyclist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Title explains the situation, I can get a used one for about $75 all said and done. I know basically zero about amplifiers and this would be my only amp. I'd need a speaker, but an Eminence bass driver and a box isn't much if I build it myself.
  2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

sure, do it!

for $75 you can't go wrong, just test it out before you buy it.
    make sure it goes loud without any static.
  3. bottomend!

bottomend!

Is it the original 260 from the '60's? If so, you could own some cool history right there. Here is a link for all things Acoustic>>>

http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/

If this is your only amp and you know little about them in general, start researching what you have ect. If you're simply a "plug and play" kind of guy then owning vintage gear might not be for you.... it's kinda like driving an antique car (i.e. theres effort involved).
  4. johnson79

johnson79

If it's the same one I've seen for sale on the interweb it's a recent one from the mini stack. I've never played one, but it seems like an ok deal.
  5. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

What? You mean it hasn't been personally owned and played by Jaco ??? :D
  6. johnson79

johnson79

Maybe.
  7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

This is actually a fairly new unit that a big box chain store is selling. Shipped to my local store with a 1 year warranty for $100 shipped. It's just the head, I'll have to get a speaker cabinet later.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If it works.....deal.

If it doesn't......????
  9. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Well, hopefully it works fine, but it's warranted for a year.

I just bought it, I guess we'll see next week when it gets here. Now I'll just have to come up with a speaker.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If it's a "Guitar Center Acoustic" amp....look what they go for new, then cut the price in about half, certainly no more than 2/3.....ok...3/5.

If the deal isn't better than that, you might want to get a new one just for the warranty.
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Good deal then.

Watch our craigslist here for good deals on used cabs. Building your own is certainly cool too. Lots to learn though.
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I say no I would look for a nice used combo like the Ampeg BA115 or something cheaper it's obviously going to be a practice rig because those things don't put out much wattage buy a combo that has a direct out.
  13. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I've got a plunge router/circle cutter attachment for my Dremel and access to a good table saw, I'm thinking an Eminence 10" in their prescribed speaker box design might do the trick.

Of course, if I see a decent cabinet for not much moolah on Craigslist I'd probably just go buy it.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If you can do basic woodwork, rolling your own is way cool. Look up DIY speaker build threads here for a lot of examples and different bracing schemes, etc. You can't make one cheaper than you can get an old something that works off craigslist, but you can make it better. Eminences cab design sheets are a great place to start. Gives you the basic size and porting to get good results, but still leaves you some room to "make it your own"......not a full planset with every cut, joint, and screw laid out like a "build your own birdhouse" kit.

WinISD AlphraPro is a decent free speaker modeling program to mess with too. Links up in the "techtalk" stickies.