Used bass Amps.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by OliBeast, Jan 24, 2014.

1. OliBeast

OliBeast

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers when getting amp second hand, be it combo, head or cab.

i'm just wondering if there is anything that i need to watch out for to make sure i don't get an amp that sounds good in the shop but will die on me within 6 months?
    is it's general tone and sturdiness whilst i try it enough to allow me to make a good decision?
  2. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Same advice as buying anything used - try it out and go with your gut. If it feels like a bad deal or you have ANY second thoughts, don't pull the trigger. The only exception to this rule is if you have some experience with what you're looking at and its a super good deal.

Check out the classified section on this site and your local craigslist and even ebay. There are lots of good deals to be had!

What things are you looking for?
  3. OliBeast

OliBeast

It's something for small gigs, was looking for something approximately 300 watt (as the guitarist is using a 120 watt) preferably15" since I play a 5 string.
    Whilst looking around I found a few nice new little combos such as warwick bc 300, for £550, hartke hydrive 110C for £500 etc.
    But then I though it may be better to just buy a 2nd hand cabanet for 300 then a head for 200, making it the same price, but I'm just worried about the quality of 2nd hand goods not standing up to a new warwick or hartke.
  4. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Hmmm....you could probably find a decent setup for that price, especially if looking used. If you don't have experience looking at used gear, you might see if someone can go along with you and help look it over.
  5. Register to disable this ad