1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Used Bass on a Budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptMoustache, Feb 26, 2014.

1. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

Hi,

(First of all, pardon my English, I'm French)

I am actually trying to choose which bass is going to be my first in America. I was the owner of a squier vm jazz bass back in France, for what I remember (I haven't play for 2 years) I liked it except that my E string was buzzy, I must have had a bad one.

For what I've read now I'm thinking about:
    -g&L l2000 tribute
    -squier classic vibe jazz bass
    They are both around 300$ but I'll have to drive 2 hours if I choose the g&l.

My influences are Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller, but because of my low level I can't play them yet so I will be more likely playing queen, muse, rhcp...

If you have any idea of better basses for this range of price, let me know.

Thank you !
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings Mon Capitaine! Welcome to TalkBass and, if I'm reading you right, to the U.S. of A.!

I would recommend the Classic Vibe Jazz. I have one and it's an excellent piece of work. Some say it's a great bass for the money you spend. I say it's fantastic, no matter how much you spent on it.

I'd also suggest you check Guitar Center's used bass database.
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm
    Do a search for "Squier" in the Bass category. You will find many to choose from, including Classic Vibes. They usually sell for $250 or more, plus $25 for shipping. And if you don't like it, you can return it for within thirty days.
  3. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

$300 can usually get you a used MIM Jazz, too. Not to take away from the Squier VM and CV. Those are quite nice, too.
  4. Melonthief

Melonthief

Buy a used bass. Almost anything made in Japan in the 80's is far superior to what you can buy new for the same price. Also don't be discouraged by instruments that have cosmetic damage like chips or scratches that don't affect sound or playability. These are almost never visible from stage anyway.
  5. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

I thought about a MIM standard but I mainly heard bad thing about it, maybe a deluxe would be good choice ?

What kind of Japanese bass are you referring too ? Aren't Fender jazz bass MIJ rare and expensive ?

For now I think I might take a CV on guitar center. Does any one know how it compare to a g&l l2000?
  6. Melonthief

Melonthief

In the 80's Charvel, Washburn, yamaha, Aria, Westone and many more brands were made at the Matsumoku and FujIGen factories. Many of them are extremely well made, better than any Fender. If you keep an eye on eBay you can did them for around $300- sometimes less.
  7. oldrookie

oldrookie

Proud G&L Tribute L2500 owner here. Drive the couple of hours. The bass is worth it.
  8. oldrookie

oldrookie

Check this out
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o

The Squier basses you asked about are very solid basses as well. Can't really go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned. The G&L is just more versatile.
  9. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

We frequently say pardon my French...... Buy the bass!
  10. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Yep - Just got my 2002 MIM Jazz for $300 last week. I'm very happy with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

12. EdgeXXL

EdgeXXL Supporting Member

I have two G&L basses and they are both great. I have a US made L-2000 and a SB-2 Tribute model. I have had both Fender Jazz and Precision basses and much prefer the G&L's. If you tried one I am sure you would like it.
  13. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I have a friend who likes to say that the difference between Americans and Europeans is that Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance, and Americans think 100 years is a long time.

Buy the G&L. Drive the two hours. Welcome to America. ;)
  14. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

The problem isn't much about driving. I just wanted to know which one was the 'best'.
    People seems to like the g&l better but when listening to oldrookie's link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AP58jC5o
    and comparing with this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

I seems to like the squier sound better...

I think I'm just gonna follow Malak the Mad's advice and get a used one on GC.

Thank you all for your help.
  15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
  16. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

I like them both but from what I've heard the MIM jazz bass can be a hit or miss and most of the time the CV are better.
  17. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

I don't think so. Either one can be hit or miss. I had an 07/08 MIM and it was very solid. Personally, I'd take the MIM over the CV or VM, any day.
  18. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

I actually really like the sunburst MIM that jazzbassguy has (specially with a tort pick guard :D) and there is some used one GC for $270... I'm gonna go and try both CV and MIM tomorrow even though I might not see the differences because of my skills :atoz:
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Then perhaps base your decision on which feels best? Later, if you decide you aren't satisfied with the sound, you can always modify ("mod") a Fender or Squier later.
  20. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Let me suggest that if are not in a big hurry,
    take your time and try out as many basses as you can.
    $300 can get you a MIM Fender, 2 used Squires,
    one or two US Peaveys, etc.

There are a lot of basses out there.
    Find the one that truely speaks to you.

You will know it when you find it.
    It will say, here I am, the ONE you were seeking.
    Take me home.