used gear at GC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by b-bottom, Jan 3, 2013.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

I just spoke to a manager at guitar center about a used rick that they have for sale.
    It's an 04 Jetglo and has some pretty good scratches on it.
    They are asking $1500 for it. Which I think seems a bit high.

the guy told me that they have no leeway on dropping the price on used gear, especially a rick, for 90 days.

Am I wrong here, or does that sound like BS? And if so, what would you say a fair price for that bass would be?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That actually is true I think that is too high for an 04 if they are asking $1500.00 they only paid around $700.00-$750.00 for it.

3. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

It's true, chances are unless you are a customer who is known to mgmt, the price is non negotiable for 90 days. You can ask for some throw ins or deals on add ons, but those prices are pretty much set in stone during that period.

4. speeves

speeves

I don't know a fair price, but GC usually let's the computer drop the price on instruments. I believe it is monthly, but don't have hard facts. On Dec. 31st, I got them to drop the listed price by $100, but that wasn't enough for me to get the instrument.

speeves

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Not even a little bit true. They have a good bit of leeway to move on used gear. Most times it is around 20%. It is built in to the item when they buy. The problem is that they don't want to. They cater to very undereducated customers and odds are that someone else will come in and give them full pop.

Sad but true, Guitar Center is (in most cases) not the musician's paradise that they once were. If you can't take advantage of them, you are better off moving on.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Everything is negotiable. Check with them near the end of the quarter.

8. pflash4001

pflash4001

I bought a 1981 Rickenbacker 4000 at GC last year. The sales guy and asst mgr were great with me on it. They offered me the bass for $1300 and an open ended layaway. Each month I went in for a pmt they extended it by another month. The sales guy told me he and the asst mgr who offered me the deal got ripped by corporate because they let me layaway the bass before they sent it to their 'vintage shop' in California. I kept up the terms of the layaway when one month I went in and made the pmt and didn't notice until I got home that the head manager who handled my pmt (he left somebody in mid conversation to handle my txn) only extended it 2 weeks. I drove back to the store and asked the same guy what was up. He said 'corporate' changed their policy and that was all he could extend. I called bull sh*t since the deal was already done and I hadn't let it lapse. He refused to change it. Two weeks later another salesman handled my tnx. I asked about what happened. He said he didnt know of any policy change and he extended my layaway TWO months.the original sales guy told me they were planning to ship out the bass immediately at the close of business if I missed my date. That a$$hole deliberately did that so I could miss my pmt. that really cheesed me off to say the least. The rest of the crew was cool with me, but that guy really set me off.

9. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

that's nuts. Did you get in touch with corporate to complain?

10. pflash4001

pflash4001

I just went and paid it off with my income tax return. Needless to say, I'm still sore about the deliberate deception.

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

That guy deserves a broken nose for sure. I probably would have sh*t myself if I found out something like that.

12. Mtnman

Mtnman

Your numbers are off a bit. I am a former GC employee so I'm very familiar with their policies. The price they pay for used gear is 60-65% of the sale price which would mean they paid $900 - 975 for it.

13. pflash4001

pflash4001

I just about did. What got me was he tried to reneg AFTER the agreement.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

gc has been really nice to me when i pointed out that they sold my marshall for 500 after only giving me 100 for it, in fact i think they were all happy i didn't start an international incident over it, because who would want to make a 38 year old art teacher angry, they gave me a lot of cash for my highway one p to make up for the slight about a year later

15. zachoff

zachoff

Judging from the way they treat their new gear, I shudder to think how they treat their used gear. Unless it's a stand or a cord or something like that I won't buy from Guitar Center anymore. They simply don't take care of their instruments.

16. Farley

Farley Supporting Member

I would advise anyone who is looking to get a Ric to check out Wildwood Guitars. They're price on new 4003 is, if I remember, 1599.00. Great shop and all guitars/basses go through a complete setup before leaving. Depending on where you are, and if you are willing to wait to have something shipped, they are worth talking to. Great guys who will treat you right - I should mention that I have no affiliation with them at all... Just a satisfied customer.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I believe pic of the rics is $1510 for a new ric shipped right to your door.

So, yeah, I wouldn't pay $1500 for a used 2004 one, that is a rip off OP.

18. hgiles

hgiles

Guitar Center offered me $100 for my Ibanez 706 before Christmas.

"It'd be worth more to me to bash it up onstage at my next gig. I think I will hang on to it."

19. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I went in to GC to sell a Schecter bass I wasn't using anymore, thinking I could put the cash to better use. I bought it brand new from the same store for $800 a year earlier. I felt like one of those customers on that Pawn Stars show when the guy said "Two hundred bucks is the best I can do, man." Oh well, the bass looks mighty nice hanging on my wall, at least.

I understand they're looking to maximize their profit, but I felt like that offer was a bit unreasonable.

Forgot to leave my on-topic comment: I never had any issue haggling on used gear at gc, but it wasn't ever anything so drastic that I felt like I was getting a great deal. Maybe I just happened to show up after the 90 day window.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. In my neck of the woods, they pay as little as they can for it, and it's usually going to be about half of what they list it for.

21. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

they sold me a 1983 l2k, for 675 which was in pretty great condition considering how old it was, can't complain